painting faux wood trim

Has anyone painted the faux wood trim you buy at home depot/lowes? It appears to be just wood trim with a thin paper wrapping over it. I have it throughout the entire house and I hate it. I want white trim.
Can I just paint over it? Will it bleed through? If I prime it with Killz2 Premium will I bet OK?
Replacing it with new trim is a lot of money and work (all those miter joints!!) so I'm hoping there is some painting method that will work.
If it has a plastic laminate be sure the primer is for this and will bond.
Do one window with it...yes, I'd use Kilz for safety...and see how it works out. What's the worst that can happen????

Just wanted to clarify what this is, the tirm is wood but it has covering to give a faux stained finish.

ive done it. if you use two coats of primer and two coats of paint you can paint just about anything.
randy

Did it really require 2 coats of each? I threw 1 coat of semi-gloss paint ont op of a clean piece of trim, non roughed up via sand paper. It's obvious it would need a second coat, but doesn't look like it needs more for even coverage. I'm just worried about it peeling/flaking off.
I did another spot with Killz2 Premium, which is white nad looks just like the single layer of paint. I'm going to throw 1 coat of paint on top of that and I think that might give me the coverage I need.
2+2 seems like overkill,b ut if that's what it requires, at least I know. Did you do any prep work on the trim such as a light sanding? How did you decide on 2 primer and 2 paint? Did you just do it that way or did you do some testing?

If your not sure it bonds dont do anything till you are sure. If it peels after it cures you will be putting up new trim or paying nearly that much in refinishing. Read labels , try a spot, talk the the primer company or call a real paint store. Plastics can be tough. Some require XIM
i'm not saying it 'requires' 2 coats of each. im just saying that you could probably do your cat with 2 coats of each even while it was still alive so thats the worst case <g>
that said, normally i suggest 2 coats of each for everything simply because i hate painting. it MIGHT last with less. you may be able to get away with the thinnest possible coating that makes it look decent. but it WILL last with 2 coats of each and it will look that way for a long long time. you've already got the room ready for painting, the brush is right there, the paint it out. it takes very little additional time to double double it as compared to a single coat of each.
but hey in the end, paint it til it looks good, and if it starts looking crappy, do it again. its paint. eventually it will have to be redone no matter what you do...
randy