Painting facia boards

I am getting new gutters installed over rough cut cedar facia boards. I'm painting the facia boards a Hunter Green color...they've never been painted before, only a light staining years ago. I'm wondering if I need to put on a coat of primer first and then paint the green over it, or if I can do without the primer. I'm thinking maybe the rough cut wood will give the paint enough to take a good hold.
Once the gutters get installed it'll be harder to paint underneath them so I want to make it last. I bought primer for the job, but am wondering if that's overkill or not?
Always use primer unless you want to put 10 coats of finish on it.