Painting exterior doors - prevent sticking to weather strips

I need to paint my exterior doors, and one thing has bugged me, so I thought I'd ask here.
I'm a novice painter. Is there an old painter's trick for painting an exterior door and being able to close it a short time later without any worry about sticking to such things as the weather strips?
Not realy, use an oil paint that dries fairly quickly and figure a way to leave it cracked open. Go to a real paint store, not HD for advise.
There is a product called Japan Dryer which is an oil based paint excellerant.
You could also put a very thin layer of vegetable oil on your weatherstripping. It won't deteriorate the weatherstripping like a petroleum based product.
"John Barrington" <"jbarrington at comcast dot net"> wrote in message

Dee wrote:

That might be tried and true, but nothing touches a new paint job here :o) Paint when the weather is forecast to be warm and dry, then leave the door ajar until it is set. That is what vacations are for :o)
It's almost time to paint our exterior doors, done 7 yrs. ago. I would be inclined to take off the old weather stripping and put in new when we are finished. Oil the hinges when all done.
John Barrington wrote:

We just remove the weatherstripping. The latch will hold the door off of the frame. If it doesn't, a nail in the frame will. When dry, replace the weatherstripping.
I have found that even when the paint appears dry to the touch, prolonged contact will still cause sticking and therefore peeling of the paint.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Yup. There's a difference between 'dry' and 'cured'.
Having recently done this, I removed the weather stripping and refinished all the wood then waited a few weeks for everything to cure before installing the weatherstripping.
On most doors you can remove weatherstripping. Pella doesn't recommend doing so with their doors.