Painting drywall

Page 2 of 2
I don't know why you wouldn't attempt covering the screw heads (& more). Its easy and fun. I have both opinions of what primer is. My usual solution is to gather any white paint(s) from anywhere - mis-match racks at the store for a buck or three, leftovers, garbage picked, and mix them all together. Unless its specific work, eg fine wood or metal, or stains, sometimes requiring sanding between coats.
-
and if you are trying to achieve a color it can be faster to tint the primer beforehand (with the final or other closer color paint) , its easier to get from one shade to the other, or final color.
....and mix them all together first
-

Kids can do it, and then they'll feel like they're a big deal, unless they're over 12, in which case they'll say "yeah whatever".