Painting copper pipes?

I have a few copper pipes that are exposed - meaning they run along the outside of the exterior block wall, they are lines for an outdoor utility shower so one line is cold and one line is hot.
I don't like the copper and messy soldering look, and wonder if I can paint it so it looks distressed and aged a bit, is it possible to paint copper pipes and fittings? especially with one pipe that can be hot?
If so do I need special paint and do I need to prime it? What can I do to make it look distressed?
Thanks,
MC
On 6/3/2008 8:57 PM MiamiCuse spake thus:

If it's "distressed" you're after (that term always makes me uneasy, like wanting something to look damaged or broken), I wonder if a nice verdigris finish might work. You know, that green patina copper gets when it oxidizes outside. I think there are kits you can buy to do that to copper. I don't think it would hurt the pipes (but you might want to check on that).
conversation with the average voter.
Miami,
Yes, you can paint copper pipe. Be sure the pipe is clean.
Dave M.

I think the painted copper will look like crap after a while.

Yes you can paint the copper. I have in several situations.
If your clean it (remove any residual flux & accumulated dirt) & prime it & paint with latex (color to "match" block wall?)
it will last a long time, have installations that are 20+ years that are just fine.
cheers Bob

In '95 I had a water softener installed on a new home. To my surprise the installer painted the copper pipes after the install. He just had a spray can (paint not known). We sold the home about four years ago. There was never any corrosion (green film ?) on the pipes. They were as good as new when we sold the house.
Granted this was inside the garage and not exposed to the desert sun.

painted some copper water lines in 1984, they still look fine oday, although my entire shop needs repainted.
I KNOW it was 1984 since that year I went in business for myself, I do field service on roll laminating machines, primarily for schools
that time has passed fast

Yes, but in your town you need a permit. Base cost is $20 plus 5 per foot of tubing to be painted.

What's the cost for 1/2" pipe, just to paint? Seminoles need a permit? Not in the Everglades!
Coconut Grove (Miami) is difficult price right now.

Yes you can paint them, but you have other options.
You could buff them a bit and they use laquer or poly to coat them. It would give a real "copper" look.
You could also "wash" them with vinegar or something to turn them green. You'd have to play a bit with it.
Finally, it's not much of a project to bury a PVC line and just get rid of the copper
I cannot replace them with PVC, this is supply line not drain. Code requires copper or PEX and I hated PEX.
vinegar to turn it green? I never thought of it, let me play with it a bit.
I probably should have cut the block wall to recess the pipe into it, just got lazy...
Thanks,.