Painting Chrome Oven Drip Pans

Page 1 of 2
Anyone ever done this? We have chrome ones that we keep clean but are aging and would like black ones now and before paying upwards of $40 for a new set of four, was wondering if there is any harm or danger to painting them black with high gloss metallic paint or something.

The colored ones I've seen for sale have a porcelain coating, not paint. I think your paint job will last about 20 minutes.

If you use high temperature grill paint, you may get 30 minutes.
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 19:32:28 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

There are "stove paints" that withstand temp to 1200* . I don't think they are for food contact surfaces.
-- Oren
Oren wrote:

He'll be ok then; the food won't ever contact it.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

I wonder if the paint will be able to endure the kind of scrubbing that's usually needed to clean drip pans.
on 9/28/2007 4:10 PM JoeSpareBedroom said the following:

Just repaint them without scrubbing. :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Nope! re-"Chrome" the originals :)
-- Oren

This discussion's got me thinking that the face of my favorite hammer is all dinged from hitting the nails. I wonder where I can get it refinished.
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 20:54:20 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Good luck. I have a couple of hammer heads without handles.
-- Oren
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I get the gag, but just in case some of us here don't know this....
Rub your hammer's face on a concrete surface occassionally so it gets slightly roughened.
That's what I was tought eons ago. The rougher surface helps prevent nails bending if you get a little sloppy about not striking them dead on. They don't skid on the hammer face as much as they do when it's glassy smooth.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
on 9/28/2007 4:54 PM JoeSpareBedroom said the following:

One of my framing hammers has a checkered face. Only used on rough hidden framing. Great on toe-nailing.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
on 9/28/2007 4:46 PM Oren said the following:

Good luck finding a re-chromer. The EPA has so many regs about the chemicals used that only a big shop can afford it. Unless you live in Orange Co., California, that is. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I even doubt they would chrome oven drip pans, but I did live near an Orange grove in Florida.
-- Oren

I think oven pans are what - five bucks each at Home Despot? One would have to be quite the chump to pay to have them rechromed.
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 21:54:10 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

If I had chrome drip pans I would try to sell them on ebayy.
For five bucks; make sure, the finish is not pinged or damaged. -- Oren
Wrap em in aluminum foil. <G>
on 9/28/2007 5:54 PM JoeSpareBedroom said the following:

I had a Kenmore (Roper) gas range with chrome pans. I never saw any pans that were not made for electric ranges.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I doubt it. As you mentioned earlier, the colored pans are most often a porcelain variant which will take the abuse of vigorous cleaning.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Drippings from the pan makes some goooood gravy.
-- Oren