Painting ceiling...

What kind of texture? Swirl? From the sound of it, the paint has just "sunk", or been absorbed more in some areas than others. That happened with our ceiling, previously painted and with one coat of primer for the latest job. I assume the ceiling was clean and not heavilly stained? I would get a shorter nap roller.

1/2" is pretty much like using a rag mop. Let the paint dry well, use shorter roller and do the "W" thing when you roll on the paint - paint a "W" shape on about 3x3' area and then straight same direction and then straight across it. With a 1/2" roller it seems you would have an extremely heavy coat in some areas; if heavy enough, the lap marks probably won't go away. Flat paint?
Reply to
Norminn

I have a medium textured ceiling and it was off-white and I just gone done painting it with white Behr ceiling paint and a 1/2" roller and I did not prime, also I mixed the paint really well. It has dried for several hours now and it looks terrible. I have done plenty of painting in my time but this was my first ceiling, is it really that different? It is blotchy and and all I see is lap marks. What did I do wrong? I am obviously going to re-paint so I am guessing I should prime first and use a bigger roller but what about the paint, should I use just a flat wall paint? Also, the texture has a grain to it, do I paint with or against? Please help, thanks.

Reply to
For example: John Smith

First off you used paint that doesn't have enough solids in it to cover in one coat.

Next you probably spread the paint too thin. (easy to do with cheap paint)

The 1/2 inch nap should be OK, but the time to prime was before the first coat of finish paint not in-between coats.

In the future avoid Home Depot or the big box stores for your paint purchases and head directly to the paint store.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

roger is right , the paint you used is junk try ben moore or sherwin williams paint buy the best paint they sell for ceilings, s w makes a paint called pro mar

200 which will work well for you use flat paint , nothing with a sheen the roller is not the problem 1/2 " is fine,its what a real paint contractor would use when you paint again roll in the opposite direction of the first coat probably don't need to prime with a good quality paint for 2nd coat though now you may need to use two coats

good luck

Reply to
Roemax

Textured ceilings tend to act like a sponge , causing uneven coverage . I don't believe in one coat coverage . There are always bad spots . I agree you should have primed . Here's a tip - never use a cheep roller sleave . You get what you pay for . My 2 cents

Reply to
cccgolluzram

Were there smokers inhabiting the room for any significant length of time? If so you could easily end up doing three coats.

How long since it had been painted? Even without smokers being involved, ceilings often take two coats.

Not to mention, since it is textured, the ceiling may never have been painted. I've often seen white texture applied to ceilings, and that was the end of the process. No paint.

For best results, let the ceiling dry well between coats. At least

16 hours. And use a high quality roller cover, not a cheapie. You might want to use a ¾" nap, it does waste a little paint but you'll get a thicker coat and better coverage.
Reply to
Tony Sivori

I appreciate everybody's response, they have been a big help. There have not been any smokers in the room to my knowledge and after thinking about it, it doesn't seem like it was ever painted. After I get the better quality paint, should I prime over the what I just painted or go right over it with the new paint? Thanks again.

Reply to
For example: John Smith

"For example: John Smith" wrote

.

Grin, the first layer will largely act like a primer now. Yes, it would be a little better if you prime again but I dont think it will be visible enough to matter.

Reply to
cshenk

It cant hurt to do so . I have had problems with textured ceilings needing primer and multiple coats of paint . Like I said before , they can be like sponges . Especially if it was textured and never painted before that paint job you gave it . I'm sure others would agree ! Good Luck

Reply to
cccgolluzram

You already have paint on it, so priming over that would seem useless.

Reply to
Norminn

A never painted textured ceiling will really suck up the paint. Since the first coat is already done, I wouldn't bother with primer. If you have enough for second coat, use up the Beher paint. I've used it a few times and it is not bad paint. Go with a very nappy roller, maybe even 1 inch.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

You are seeing that because several hours is not *nearly* enough dry time to tell how it will look when really dry. A week - at a minimum - would be more like it. The blotchiness and lap marks are because some areas have more paint than others and the thinly covered areas have dried more.

That isn't to say you'll not need another coat but I suggest you wait a week or two before deciding.

Reply to
dadiOH

I have to disagree with you on that. I've not only used Behr paint for all my indoor painting, but Consumer reports rated is at the top in an issue towards the end of last year. Though now, I'll honestly state the latest issue moved Behr to third but it's still a great paint. I've had nothing but success with it.

Reply to
SBH

We have popcorn ceilings. The bedrooms had obviously been painted before (ceilings) because they just looked white and painted. The great room with it's cathedral ceilings clearly had not and neither had the laundry room. I started out with a roller made for textured ceilings - cost a good bit - and rolled the laundry room ceiling. I let it dry and did it again. You could not tell I had painted it. I used moderate priced paint but not real cheap stuff - it was for ceilings. My husband painted the great room. He used the same paint but used a different roller....just an ordinary roller with short nap. It worked as well as my "textured" special. Those type of ceilings - even after two coats - just don't look great. I am pretty sure it was spray painted the first time. It is like stucco. It soaks up paint.

Reply to
Dottie

I used it once years ago on an interior job, and I thought it was good paint, but not outstanding.

This spring I used some Behr exterior paint, the kind that claims to be a primer and finish coat all in one, and I was very impressed. One coat got passable coverage on bare, new, never painted plywood.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

Same here. I use Behr Ultra for everything.

Reply to
GWB

behr is owned by home depot, they dont want to screw their customers. unnecessarily.

paint is excellent, and wears very well

Reply to
hallerb

replying to hallerb, soccerdad wrote: Home Depot also sells Glidden Paint. For the price I paid I was very pleased with the results. For sure going to use Glidden on my next weekend project

Reply to
soccerdad

popcorn cielings are no longer popular. they make the home look like your trying to cover up a defect.

might be better to scrape the texturing all away, prep the cieling and paint with a primer before regular paint.

i too love the behr paint

Reply to
bob haller