Painting Basement Ceiling

I would like to paint everything on my basement ceiling - joists, sub- floor, ducts, pipes, etc. - white to make it blend in as well as possible. What kind of paint is ideal for such a job? I basically would like to spray everything above the walls.
That was done in my house before I moved in 27 years ago, I assume it was sprayed since the block walls and ceiling were all light yellow. A lot of the paint has since pealed off since I don't think they primed. The house had BX wiring for the most part. My only thought would be what the risk of painting today's plastic-jacketed wiring might be, but I'd think a decent latex paint would do the job.
It does make for a brighter basement. That, and the fact I replaced all the incandescent bulbs with florescent shop lights. Mine is mainly a 'working basement' with laudry, workshop, and storage areas, but the relatively inexpensive 4-foot lights with white deflectors give good downward light.
Mark

A good primer is needed, a stain sealing primer. Without a stain sealer your wood will never look white. Oil or Bin or kills work but smell bad, lotta fumes. There are latex primers for this. Then just topcoat in Latex.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net said...

What about priming the pipes and ducts? The ducts have that sealing goop all over them in places.
Prime Everything Spray, and Spray finish coat.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net said...

What kind of primer?
an interior Stain hiding , plastic bonding primer... At Sherwin Williams
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net said...

Those basically stick to anything?