Painting and the evil Blue Tape

Page 2 of 2
says...

Good advice. And ignore the macho stuff about not needing the tape and just learning how to cut in perfectly - they either 1) are painting pros or 2) are satisfied with results you probably wouldn't be. Pro painters often can't wait for the ceiling or trim paint to dry, and get LOTS of practice at it. And I've seen many DIY cut-in jobs folks have pointed to proudly, that make me wince. So I use the blue tape and take my time about it. Go with what works for *you*.
When applying, make sure the bond is good on the very edge toward to new painting, but don't push the whole tape down more than needed to apply it as a shield. Remove blue tape slooowly.
If you waited 24 hours, you must have either applied the ceiling paint too thickly, or it's really humid where you are. But, yes, the key is to let the paint cure some, not just dry.
Banty

Tape jobs make ME wince. They always result in crappy looking lines (there is one way to get tape to work, but it's a lot of trouble and not applicable here.)
It's not that big a deal. If you can't learn to paint without tape, you're just ignorant and lazy. It's about the right brush and the right technique. Anyone can learn to do it in about 10 minutes. Practice on a piece of cardboard box. Or, if you'd rather. practice above a door against the trim. No one can see the line up there.
If you don't know the technique, just ask. But don't call it "macho" just because you're clueless.

The really simple option is wallpaper. Paint the ceiling, stain the trim, then put up the paper. No cut in necessary :)

Forget the tape and get a good angle-cut 2" brush. You can get good results cutting in by using a brush and a steady hand.

Yeah but I just drank 4 cups of coffee and had 3 bran muffins before starting the job...

With that diet you'll be up and down the ladder so often the paint will dry between stokes.
J.A. Michel wrote:

I can paint just about anything but a straight line - I use good brushes, have practiced a good deal but it always looks bad. That is why God made masking tape :o)

Wrong brush. You want a straight 3.5" to 4" brush, and use it sideways.
Learn how to paint !!!!!!!!
Tape is for idiots that dont know how to paint.......

On May 10, 3:30 am, resumewriter@_____.com wrote:

Great advice. So how should I paint my doors and trim? I have always rolled the walls and come back in and painted the trim last.
Matt

Paint the trim first. When painting the walls, cut in around the trim just like you do at the ceiling. It's *much* easier to get a straight, steady edge when painting a wall next to the trim, than when painting the trim next to the wall.
--
Regards,
What Doug said.

"Matt" < snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net> wrote in message
Trouble like this is why all white cielings walls and trim all the same save tons of trouble:)

Of course the same color looks pretty much like crap, and the sheen is different (flat or eggshell on the wall and semi-gloss on the trim), but other than that it works fine.

Already been mentioned but just to reinforce the point:
PAINT SHIELD
I use a piece of formica.
I can paint a straight line but prefer to get the job done quicker.
Matt wrote:

The old advice used to be to do doors and trim last so's splatter doesn't get on them, but I haven't listened to anyone's advice for about 30 years :o) I do doors and trim first, and always use alkyd semigloss. By letting it cure before I do the walls, it is safe to tape and easy to wipe off any splatters. Always sand gunk and piled up paint out of the joint, caulk cracks, so when I tape the tape will lie flat. I hate the prep work but I am fanatic about doing it because I want it to last. I loathe latex paint on trim and doors because it is impossible to sand when it is time to paint again, it dings easily and stains easily.
Just got back from a trip to daughter's; removed wallpaper in bathroom in my spare time whilst kids work. This bath had border all around, border on the outside of the glass shower door, and cut-out wallpaper flowers on the tile!!!!!! I'm surprised they didn't cover the windows.