Painting An Aluminum Door

I have an aluminum patio door. It's natural aluminum and looks crappy. Can it be painted white? If so, is there some special paint for aluminum? How about the tracks and sides where the door slips into -- won't the paint wear off immediately?
If it can't be painted, is there another way to color it? Black would be fine. Actually almost anything other than a yaha color like apple read or vibrant green or yellow, etc. Let's say, restricted to earthtones.
Ken
Ken Hall wrote:

There are primers specifically for "raw" aluminum...

I had this ugly dark brown sectional garage door(aluminum). Dunn Edwards has a metal primer and I used a white finish coat with a sprayer. Looks awesome. Everyone asked if I got a new door. Cleaned it well before hand and scuffed it up with one of those dry wall sanding pads. I think the key was the sprayer.
"John H." wrote:

I was specifically thinking of the raw Al primers, not over a pre-painted.
Did some old gutters on former house and they lasted several years--at least 'til we moved. :)
On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 08:30:58 -0500, Duane Bozarth

You need a pretty aggressive primer. The oxiide that protects aluminum makes an effective barrier for paint too. If you don't etch into the base metal the paint will flake off.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That's what they make specific-application primers for and why I mentioned them specifically...

Go to the auto paint store and get some etching 2 ppart primer. Wirebrush the door to get as much of the scale and oxide off as you can. Shoot it with the primer, then shoot on some polyurethane fortified enamel on it. That's what I did with an aluminum boat and salt water won't hurt it.

That's a good idea. Just be sure to wear a cartridge mask when you shoot the polyurethane!

and the primer. it does a pretty aggressive job on your lungs too.
On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:15:19 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"

Respirator and a Tyvec suit.
You could have it powedercoated. That would be the most durable.
You could spray paint it and if you use a good primer and paint it should be OK. It would need to be cleaned well and maybe scuffed.
Ken Hall wrote:

Thanks for all the helpful replies.
Ken