painting a window?

Hi All,
I need to opaque out a windows. Since the outside of the house is white, I was thinking of painting the window white so it would not look weird from the street.
My big issue is how to clean off the paint when the need no longer exists. Is there a particular paint that is easy to get off? Or is there a better way to temporarily opaque a window?
The wife already ruled out foil. Looks too weird from the street. (She has a point.) And wind would cause havoc on it when I open up the window. (We have 30 to 60 mph winds out here.)
Many thanks, -T

Rather than paint the window, couldn't you mount an opaque piece of white cardboard or vinyl INSIDE the window? Easily removable when need passes.
HB
On 3/27/2011 7:55 PM, Todd wrote:

I put some Gila window film on several uninsulated panes around my front door to help in heat loss/gain.
http://www.gilafilms.com/en/Default.aspx
Not quite easy to get all bubbles out but does not look bad and does job. They have different tints and it would be easy to remove.
On 03/27/2011 05:17 PM, Frank wrote:

Love it. Thank you!
Do you know at night with the lights on in the room, if the "privacy" file would show an outline of my body's shadow on the film for my neighbors to laugh their asses off?
-T

You can buy some that looks like stained glass.

You can call it the Cathedral of Todd.
On 03/27/2011 11:08 PM, mm wrote:

Has a nice ring to it. :-)
On 3/27/2011 9:06 PM, Todd wrote:

Don't know but suspect it would. Stuff I got was not tinted but does have a slight silvery look from outside. Inside are small transparent curtains which probably diffuse internal lights when on.

I must agree with the others. NO paint.
A cheaper option than then window films might be self adhesive white shelf paper applied only to the glass. That will be fun to remove but no where as bad as sun baked paint.
1/4" foam board cut to fit inside the glass area is yet another option though I suspect it will cost more than the shelf paper.
--
Colbyt
Todd wrote:

Spray the window with PAM. Then paint with a latex paint.

I tried that. PAM's boyfriend wouldn't let her come over.

If you're worried about it breaking the glass, apply it to a piece of Lexan and put it in the window.
On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 22:53:55 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

You don't even need lexan, which is a very strong version of plexiglas or whatever the generic name is. It's used for football helmets. YOu can use the weakest and probably the cheapest version of opaque plastic. Every city has a plastic store, and some sell left over pieces fwiw from projects they make for customers.

I wouldn't use opaque plastic or film. A "rice paper" texture would do the job and still let in light.
Todd wrote:

People used to use cake Bon Ami. Doesn't look great.
I suppose you could use drying type drywall compound too.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Yeah, stores used to use it during remodeling so you couldn't see in, but when wiped off it sure cleaned the glass thoroughly. I used to use it to clean the inside and out of car windows (in the '50s) after body work and painting, got all the dirt, grime, smoker's film and paint overspray off the glass, leaving it crystal clear.
Glass wax. Apply it but don't rub it. Remember the stenciled window Christmas decorations?
--
Peace,
BobJ

"dadiOH" < snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com> wrote in message

Replace temporarily with one- way glass (as in cop flix interrogation room). You can see out; nabes can't see in. Doesn't look un-natural.
HB
On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 10:09:03 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

Great idea but I think you can see through it when it's light inside and dark outside. At line-ups they have lights shining in their eyes. DAMHIKT. Just kidding, I've never been to a line-up on either side.

On 3/28/2011 10:09, Higgs Boson wrote:

One-way glass typically requires less light from the viewing side. The glass has a mirror-like appearance on the brighter side. So the viewable direction will reverse itself between day and night.