painting a textured ceiling

I have the typical sprayed ceiling. It needs to be painted (never has been painted) and I wanted to know if it has to be an oil paint? I heard that latex will pull the texture down. Your opinions wanted!
Thanks

Oil is preferred. I use latex with a roller designed for textured ceilings. Never had a problem.
Ken
On Fri, 06 May 2005 01:29:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.tnx wrote:

Since then I have used oil-based paint (if painting for the first time) that says it is for textured ceilings. No problems other than the usual clean-up problems with oil-based paint.
Eddie Marano wrote:

In this day and age, who's using oil based paint? Almost none as far as I am concerned. Smoker(s) in the house?, LOL. Tony
Use an oil based primer to seal the texture. Apply regular latex ceiling paint. Works great. I just did our house that way a couple of months ago.

The ceilings are not peeling down because of the paint, they are peeling down because they are older and breaking down, loosing thier adhesion to the ceiling. We spray them with latex paint all the time. I have only had two ceilings peel in almost 20 years. The second one was this past week.
Good luck,
AZCRAIG
www.arizonavintagetrailers.com

Spray them, I think you can get away with latex. When you hit them with a brush is when you run into trouble.

OK heres my HD idiot story......
I was a service rep for a staple gun manufacturer servicing HD stores. I was cleaning up our display when the employee in the tool corral brought a customer to me with one of our staple guns in his hands. The employee states that the gun is jammed. I said just give him a new one and I'll give the store credit.
The employee then points the gun at his face so he can see why it's jammed. I could see his fingers tighting around the handle to fire the gun!!!! I said DON'T SHOOT THAT TOWARDS YOUR FACE! Well he did and he is lucky it was jammed. He did this twice and spent 15 minutes trying to un-jam the gun. I finally handed the customer a new gun while the HD idiot worked on the old one.
AZCRAIG
www.arizonavintagetrailers.com

What the fuck does that have to do with painting a textured ceiling?!?!?! And I've met some truly stupid sales reps as well.

On Fri, 6 May 2005 22:39:45 -0400, "curmudgeon"

Not much, but it could have been an example of "Evolution in Action!"