Painting a swimming pool

I have a concrete / plaster swimming pool that I am planning to drain and paint. I see that there are a number of Epoxy and Chlorinated Rubber Paints out there.

Any particular brands that are recommended? Is there anything else that I should know about this? I know that it won't last as long as a professional replastering, but that is going to run 5 - 10k, so for now the paint will have to do.

Thanks.

Reply to
The Chairman

The Chairman wrote in news:Xns94FCE9B83620monsterearthlinknet@140.99.99.130:

Sorry to follow up to my own post, but can you please include how long I can expect the surface to last with your recommendations? Thanks!!!

Reply to
The Chairman

It depends on where you live. In the southern/tropics, it may last only two years. In the midwest and northern areas, it may last five.

There is a company called Blue Water Marine

that makes a product called Aqua Kote. I used it on my 48,000 gallon pool and it took ten cans. It looks beautiful when you are done. You'll have to learn to take care of your pool all over again because the chemical and brushing you would normally use on a gunnite pool no longer applies.

The paint is about 40 bucks a gallon and if you order on line the shipping is free. There is one very important thing to remember if you paint - you will have to order enough paint for two coats and it is extremely important that you follow the drying directions. Painting over and over like you would with a roller painting a wall is a no-no, it will cause the paint to peel almost immediately after filling. The manufacturer suggests 24 hours between coats but you would do well to go with up to four days. The cure time is also a minimum of 4 days when you are done but a week won't hurt.

Based on your ground water, you won't want to leave your pool empty too long or it will pop. Southern states are bad for this. So make sure you have enough time to do the project start to finish.

ALWAYS power wash your pool before painting. Make sure it is completely dry. Any cracks, chips or patching you need to do should be done before painting as any crack will let water under the paint and then your sunk. Sand your patches well and let them cure before painting also. You can buy an 80 pound bag of marsite mix for about 40 bucks, mixes with water, trowels nicely and works well for filling cracks, chips and larger areas that are missing plaster. Follow the directions on the bag.

The website above will give you instructions on how to measure your pool for paint so you'll know how much to order. Always order a little extra just in case. DO NOT GET THIS PAINT ON YOUR TILE, it is a bitch to get off. Please PLEASE don't order colored paint, just get the white, the blue shades look very unnatural. I ordered a can of blue to do my in-ground spa with and it looked like hell, so had to repaint later with the white.

Their people are very informative and helpful. It was a lot of work, but the end result was well worth the effort.

Again, this is a temporary fix, it won't last forever and when the paint does start to come off, and it will, it will play havoc with your filtering system. Once you see the paint starting to come off, it's time to drain it and do the job right.

Start by visiting the website and reading up on what you're getting yourself into :-)

Good Luck!

Reply to
Lost-In-Translation

Just curious what the dimensions are on that pool? Mine is shaped like the numeral 8, 20' by 38' with an 8' deep end and it only holds 19,000 gallons. You got an olypic in your back yard?

Reply to
Bruce

20 X 40 with a 13.5 ft. diving pit. Shallow end is 4'.7" Spring board and high dive. It also has an infinity spa on the opposite end. The shape is called "Puzzle Piece" as that's what it looks like.
Reply to
Lost-In-Translation

Wow! I'm surprised at the amount of difference for such similar dimensions. But, it looks like the math works.

Reply to
Bruce