Painting a Stamped Concrete Driveway

I recently moved into a home with a nice half-circle stamped concrete driveway. It has been painted grey and sealed, so I am told. We'd like to repaint it to match our new roof, probably some kind of earthtone sand/brown color, but have been given mixed information on what is required. The company that laid the driveway for the previous owner said it should be sand-blasted before repainting/sealing, which is quite costly. Another painter we spoke to, said this was not necessary and that we could just pain a new color right on top of the existing. Obviously the second alternative is much cheaper and therefore preferable to our pockets.

Whatever we do, I just don't want to be faced with peeling paint in 6 months, or any other problems for that matter. Is there any real reason why the cost of sand-blasting is necessary? Is there any special type of paint we should use? Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply to
akahler

First, it's not normal to paint stamped concrete. The color is applied to the concrete itself by adding the base color to the concrete while it;s in the truck. Then more color is added during the stamping process, to give it variation. Once it's cured, the goal is to seal it every couple of years to protect the finish. That's all that should be required for many years service.

If that isn't done and it's allowed to weather, it may get to the point where it will look better if painted. However, once you start down that path, you will have to keep painting it. And if it's a finish that has natural variation made to look like stone, unless you somehow duplicate it by doing some kind of faux finish technique, it;s just gonna be one solid color.

So, first, I'd be sure it really has been painted, and not just sealed. If you do decide to paint it, then I would just power wash it first. That should be all that is required, unless it's been painted incorrectly before and the paint is peeling. Then you may need to sandblast it.

Reply to
trader4

I would avoid painting it at all costs! You will just create a paint every few years job:(

The cars hot tires will tear up the paint fast. concrete breathes moisture passes thru it. a coat of paint seals it, till the paint peels.

If your going to paint it anyway, sandblast for best adhesion but every

5 years if not less you will have to do it again:( Worse paint can be slippery espically in multiple coats.

your better off to pressure wash it and seal with thompsons water seal or similiar to preserve it unless you want a endless job, worse at home sale time the buyer might not like it LESS$$$

home buyers today like low maintence.

painting concrete and brick is NEVER a good idea!

Reply to
hallerb

DO NOT PAINT STAMPED CONCRETE.

If you need/want to change the color you MAY use an acrylic stain. Preparation work must include sandblasting (best) or a high pressure wash. Caulk any cracks with an elastomeric caulk. If desired you can seal the stain coat with a gloss sealer, but then you've created a situation where you need to sandblast it again before the next stain application.

Here in Florida I've found Scott Paints Acrylic coatings to have excellent durability for this application:

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Forgot the link:

Travis Jordan