Painting a popcorn ceiling

Guess the paint or style doesn't really matter if that's what YOU see on your ceiling. Different - That's surely what you were going for!

Reply to
JE (Elaine) Lawless

Nothing amazing about using popcorn - cheap or not. If finished correctly, they can look very nice. Product & application is what matters .

Reply to
JE(Elaine) Lawless

Glad you mentioned acoustics, Greg. Especially in a kitchen you don't normally have carpet or drapes to soften the noise...popcorn ceilings do help a bit. Foam wall treatments (that's different) and bass traps ... now you've either lost me or you're trying to be funny, hard to tell.

Reply to
JE (Elaine) Lawless

Guess you're not a Simpsons fan, are you? :/

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Bullshit. It looks like hell, is impossible to clean, and next to impossible to repair. It's used to cover crap installation. It's impossible to "finish correctly"; oxymoron.

If you like that shit, go for it. I won't even think about buying a house with popcorn (or wallpaper). We nixed several for both reasons.

Reply to
krw

Yeah, acoustics are important, more important than the ability to clean a ceiling in the room you cook in and collect the splatter of grease. That was the first room we scraped that crap from before it got disgusting.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Except for the kitchen and bath, I paint all my popcornless ceilings flat white. They don't get dirty. The walls are somewhat darker; ivory (like old piano keys) in the living room and dining room, caramel in the bedroom. They are also painted with flat paint.

The kitchen and bath are semigloss, currently same color on walls and ceilings. The kitchen is almond and the bath is some sort of beige. When I repaint, the ceilings will probably go white and the walls a little darker.

I suspect that your architecture and furnishings are more modern in appearance than mine are.

Let's put this down to a difference in taste. I'll never convince you that popcorn is bad; you'll never convince me that popcorn is good.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Sorry your experiences have been so futile. You will of course need to let someone else do the work since you haven't had success with ceiling painting...of any kind it would seem.

Reply to
JE (ELAINE) Lawless

I don't care how anyone else does their ceilings, nor trying to convince anyone to CHANGE theirs. But some people still prefer popcorn finish and some have no choice but to deal with it the best way they can - I only reported my own experiences and successes.

Reply to
JE (Elaine Lawless

When I previously mentioned SPRAY paint for the ceiling, I should make clear - NOT to use the aerosol cans to spray, cut a paint sprayer if you do that sort of thing. I had my new ceilings done (flat paint the painter chose).

But when I found them impossible to clean from accidental spewing a ceiling with a soft drink, I covered with Kilz then semi-gloss acrylic/latex.

After a New Years champagne stain and a granddaughter using a mixer that wasn't turned off outside the bowl ...well,Further damages have been easily cleaned. With a 12 yr old - I'm sure you understand accidents!

Reply to
JE (Elaine) Lawless

I'd never turn down a house for wallpaper - it is easy to remove - or even for damaged dry-wall if the price is right. Removing and replacing drywall is a weekend job for 1 or 2 rooms. Just make your offer keeping in mind what it is likely to cost you to fix.

Reply to
clare

Clueless.

Reply to
krw

Perhaps for someone as perfect as you. I've had nightmares tearing off wallpaper. No one knows what idiot put the stuff up. Hint: the wall needs to be primed, painted, and sized before hanging paper. Some haven't heard that hint. It's far more work than I want to do for a new house. Let the next guy hassle with it.

Reply to
krw

You're the *FIRST* idiot who has told me that they like popcorn.

Reply to
krw

LOL ! ! ! All you have to do is look in a mirror to see a complete totally mindless IDIOT who can't see nor understand anything beyond your own narrow opinion.

I never wrote that I *LIKED* popcorn ceilings - but I have been very successful in greatly improving their appearance and functionality. Changing that it is totally unimportant what anyone's opinion might be.

Reply to
JE (Elaine) Lawless

Dumbshit. You're in the running for the dumbest bastard on the Usenet. ...and THAT takes some doing!

You're a liar.

You're lying again. It is *NOT* functional in any way and it looks like hell. The only way of improving it is to strip it off. The problem with that is then you're likely to have to redo the sheetrock and perhaps even the joists as well. It's whole purpose in life is to cover shit.

Word salad.

Reply to
krw

Inch or two foam sheet, with decorative fabric cover, put on walls to reduce reflections.

Bass trap, usually a large hunk of foam in the corners to absorb bass frequencies, help balance sound.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

krw ...Your name calling & foul language only shows your low level of intelligence. Without lying or name calling I have reported what I have personally done & done successfully. Sorry, but your opinion is of no value to me and probably to very few others. Continue to rant if you choose, no one cares!

Reply to
JE (Elaine) Lawless

Once again showing everyone what a clueless moron you are.

That's not possible. It *is* you!

Made popcorn look good? Impossible.

Yet it seems that my opinion is so valuable to you that you can't resist trying to justify yourself to me. Amazing, really. You're a lefty, aren't you?

Reply to
krw

krw: Rant on - I don't have to justify myself to you or anyone. I only report facts as they happened. YOUR believing them is completely unnecessary and of no concern. Have you attempted to deal with people without name calling or vulgar language? You only negate your opinion. Go ahead, rant on if it makes you feel powerful and big.

Reply to
JE (Elaine) Lawless