Painting a popcorn ceiling

Page 3 of 4

What makes you think flat ceilings are a current fad? We've had 'em for decades.

How dirty does your ceiling get? Do you walk on it? Put your hands on it?
Cindy Hamilton

On 8/26/2013 3:24 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Mine has little baby-pig hoof prints all over it.
nate
replying to Nate Nagel , JE (Elaine) Lawless wrote:

Guess the paint or style doesn't really matter if that's what YOU see on your ceiling. Different - That's surely what you were going for!
On 8/28/2013 12:45 AM, JE (Elaine) Lawless wrote:

Guess you're not a Simpsons fan, are you? :/
replying to Cindy Hamilton , JE (Elaine) Lawless wrote:

[::START TYPING YOUR RESPONSE BELOW THIS LINE]
Pardon. Yes, most 'ceilings' are flat. We're discussing flat PAINT on ceilings.
The FAD is to NOT use popcorn - making a ceiling very flat. Ones that I've seen were not attractive, but a lack-luster blah. Not sure what paint was used...but I wouldn't have it. Fads change, we'll see later what it's going to be.
Ceilings can get very dirty - see earlier comments.
On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 23:45:08 +0000, JE (Elaine) Lawless

Wrong! Popcorn was a fad that, fortunately, went the way of harvest gold and avocado appliances. It was a cheap-ass way of hiding crappy workmanship.

...and you think popcorn is a good thing? Utterly amazing!

I agree. There's plenty of decorative textured finishes that look way better - but they all take longer to apply, = more money, = since popcorn is cheap and easy that's what's used. Probably costs more to do a standard smooth finish that doesn't show joints and screw holes.
Personally, I like simple and clean, makes it easier to patch later on too.
nate
replying to JE (Elaine) Lawless, JE(Elaine) Lawless wrote:

ceilings.
to be.

Nothing amazing about using popcorn - cheap or not. If finished correctly, they can look very nice. Product & application is what matters .
On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 14:44:01 +0000, JE(Elaine) Lawless

Bullshit. It looks like hell, is impossible to clean, and next to impossible to repair. It's used to cover crap installation. It's impossible to "finish correctly"; oxymoron.
If you like that shit, go for it. I won't even think about buying a house with popcorn (or wallpaper). We nixed several for both reasons.
replying to krw , JE (ELAINE) Lawless wrote:

Sorry your experiences have been so futile. You will of course need to let someone else do the work since you haven't had success with ceiling painting...of any kind it would seem.
On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 15:44:01 +0000, JE (ELAINE) Lawless

I'd never turn down a house for wallpaper - it is easy to remove - or even for damaged dry-wall if the price is right. Removing and replacing drywall is a weekend job for 1 or 2 rooms. Just make your offer keeping in mind what it is likely to cost you to fix.
On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 12:53:24 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Perhaps for someone as perfect as you. I've had nightmares tearing off wallpaper. No one knows what idiot put the stuff up. Hint: the wall needs to be primed, painted, and sized before hanging paper. Some haven't heard that hint. It's far more work than I want to do for a new house. Let the next guy hassle with it.
On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 15:44:01 +0000, JE (ELAINE) Lawless

Clueless.

Except for the kitchen and bath, I paint all my popcornless ceilings flat white. They don't get dirty. The walls are somewhat darker; ivory (like old piano keys) in the living room and dining room, caramel in the bedroom. They are also painted with flat paint.
The kitchen and bath are semigloss, currently same color on walls and ceilings. The kitchen is almond and the bath is some sort of beige. When I repaint, the ceilings will probably go white and the walls a little darker.
I suspect that your architecture and furnishings are more modern in appearance than mine are.
Let's put this down to a difference in taste. I'll never convince you that popcorn is bad; you'll never convince me that popcorn is good.
Cindy Hamilton

replying to Cindy Hamilton , JE (Elaine Lawless wrote:

I don't care how anyone else does their ceilings, nor trying to convince anyone to CHANGE theirs. But some people still prefer popcorn finish and some have no choice but to deal with it the best way they can - I only reported my own experiences and successes.
On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 15:45:01 +0000, JE (Elaine Lawless

You're the *FIRST* idiot who has told me that they like popcorn. <gag>
replying to krw , JE (Elaine) Lawless wrote:

LOL ! ! ! All you have to do is look in a mirror to see a complete totally mindless IDIOT who can't see nor understand anything beyond your own narrow opinion.
I never wrote that I *LIKED* popcorn ceilings - but I have been very successful in greatly improving their appearance and functionality. Changing that it is totally unimportant what anyone's opinion might be.
On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 23:44:01 +0000, JE (Elaine) Lawless

Dumbshit. You're in the running for the dumbest bastard on the Usenet. ...and THAT takes some doing!

You're a liar.

You're lying again. It is *NOT* functional in any way and it looks like hell. The only way of improving it is to strip it off. The problem with that is then you're likely to have to redo the sheetrock and perhaps even the joists as well. It's whole purpose in life is to cover shit.

Word salad.
replying to krw , JE (Elaine) Lawless wrote:

krw ...Your name calling & foul language only shows your low level of intelligence. Without lying or name calling I have reported what I have personally done & done successfully. Sorry, but your opinion is of no value to me and probably to very few others. Continue to rant if you choose, no one cares!
On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 15:44:02 +0000, JE (Elaine) Lawless

Once again showing everyone what a clueless moron you are.

That's not possible. It *is* you!

Made popcorn look good? Impossible.

Yet it seems that my opinion is so valuable to you that you can't resist trying to justify yourself to me. Amazing, really. You're a lefty, aren't you?