room
it
didn't
in it

the
throw
dried,
he
I sprayed the vaulted ceilings in two rooms, approximate square footage, 1,000 sf with a Graco XR7, and it worked so slick I couldn't believe it. Masking the walls and cleanup took longer than painting. And everything was out of the rooms. That made a huge difference. I wouldn't use anything but an airless, and I don't consider the Wagner POS to be an airless sprayer.
Steve
Steve -
We have a vaulted ceiling, too. What I am seriously considering is saving my money and hiring someone to do it next time.
Dorothy
replying to Dorot29701, JE (ELAINE) Lawless wrote:

Sounds like an excellent plan, Dorothy. I wouldn't attempt a vaulted ceiling with any application - you will be delighted to write the check. Money well spent. Just make sure he gives you what YOU want, not HIS idea of what's best for you.
replying to Dorot29701, JE (Elaine) Lawless wrote:

room
didn't
it
throw
dried,
I personally hate the cheap flat ceiling paint - I could always see the laps & that's the ugliest. One thick coat of good latex semi-gloss and the second coat goes pretty fast. Method of application isn't as important as the quality of paint. Try it next time.
replying to FurPaw, JE (Elaine) Lawless wrote:

Yes, use at least a med thick nap on a roller and roll ONCE forward NOT back & Forth as this causes popcorn to get even wetter and begin to stick to the roller. Clean off the roller as needed. Latex/acrylic paint should never be thinned. Use a quality semi-gloss if you are serious about doing this job yourself. It should last for years and the good paint won't allow it to ever drop off again. As for spray painting - have a pro do that, but still use the semi-gloss paint.
Keep in mind that once you paint a popcorn ceiling, it becomes a lot, lot harder to remove later on. An unpainted popcorn ceiling can be removed by just spraying it with water and scraping it off, one small area at a time. Best home improvement I ever made.
replying to larrymoencurly , JE (Elaine) Lawless wrote:

WHY would you remove a popcorn ceiling unless it's ruined and there's no choice. Perhaps the fad of flat ceilings is most important to you. Unpainted popcorn looks totally unfinished and impossible to clean in any manner. To each his own

In my case, it didn't fit the style of the house. A split-fieldstone house with a cove ceiling in the living room. Overall the house looks a bit like an old English cottage.
Then some jackhole sprayed popcorn on the living room ceiling and added glitter as a final "f--k you".
Cindy Hamilton

You bet. Our agent was under orders to not bother showing us any house with excessive wall paper (more than one room) or anything that even looked like popcorn. Not going to happen - don't waste my time.

Good for room acoustics and a home theater room. Add Floor carpet, foam wall treatments, bass traps.
Greg
replying to gregz , JE (Elaine) Lawless wrote:

Glad you mentioned acoustics, Greg. Especially in a kitchen you don't normally have carpet or drapes to soften the noise...popcorn ceilings do help a bit. Foam wall treatments (that's different) and bass traps ... now you've either lost me or you're trying to be funny, hard to tell.
On 8/28/2013 10:45 AM, JE (Elaine) Lawless wrote:

Yeah, acoustics are important, more important than the ability to clean a ceiling in the room you cook in and collect the splatter of grease. That was the first room we scraped that crap from before it got disgusting.

Inch or two foam sheet, with decorative fabric cover, put on walls to reduce reflections.
Bass trap, usually a large hunk of foam in the corners to absorb bass frequencies, help balance sound.
Greg
I can not imagine painting a ceiling with semigloss paint it must look really ugly. ALWAYS use flat and if you can work a roller you won't see the roller marks. OR remove the popcorn.
On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 16:55:37 -0700 (PDT),

Using something other than latex keeps the popcorn on the ceiling. We used an oil based white primer on one, but found CIL makes a special alkyd paint for "calcimined"ceilings. Works fantastic.
On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 23:47:16 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

But the real question is, why would you want to keep ugly ceilings? My wife scraped 2000 sq. feet of that crap from our house, one room at a time.
On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 23:47:16 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Calcimine hasn't been used for nearly 100 years. Used to run into that in old houses. Paint wouldn't stick to it for long, and would sag and crack off. Any paint. Probably what you're talking about wasn't around when I was painting. I wouldn't trust it anyway. Calcimine is pure trouble. You're painting chalk. Two main solutions. Scrape off all paint put over it and scrub it off with TSP. Doable but a REAL PITA. Best solution. Cover it with 1/4" drywall.
replying to clare , JE (Elaine) Lawless wrote:

I'm sure oil based pain would work, it's the seemingly forever-smell that I avoid.
Unless there has been some really bad damage to a ceiling - or a definite need to replace it, paint works great & who wants to fight the popcorn falling if you don't have to after one good paint job!
replying to clare , JE (Elaine) Lawless wrote:

Clare, I'm not familiar with the alkyd paint, but if it worked fantastic, good for you! If it gets the job done the way YOUR satisfied, that's all that matters!
replying to JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gma, JE (Elaine) Lawless wrote:

really ugly. ALWAYS use flat and if you can work a roller you won't see the roller marks. OR remove the popcorn.
Ugly was the flat dead look of flat latex. With age it got dingy looking even more so. Unacceptable ! Some must go with the current 'fad' - some could care less. With Semi-gloss it can be cleaned.