Painting a popcorn ceiling

Is it possible to paint a popcorn ceiling with a roller without losing too much of the texture? Does it do a good job? How about brushes, or does it have to be sprayed to do it correctly? Thanks. Brian

Go to Sherwin Williams (or any good paint store) and they will recommend a roller that should do it.

I was told the best way is to put a coat of oil based primer, then regular ceiling paint over that. In any case, it made such a mess we just got rid of the popcorn. Wet it and it comes off easily.

Yes,and by someone who knows how. Take my word for it UNLESS you'd like a ceiling with chunks missing and FLAT popcorn....been there done that. Xeno

Sorry, but have also been there and done that (successfully) with a big fuzzy roller.

My husband painted ours. He started out with one of the special rollers that was supposed to be for painting popcorn ceilings ... it didn't look too good. He switched to an ordinary - but fuzzy - one and it looked a lot better. We have a cathedral ceiling and it's really too high for us to do a good job though. I think next time I see if I can get someone to come in and just paint the ceiling. We can manage the rest.
The trick is to using an oil primer followed by whatever top coat (I went with latex for ease of cleanup and future painting). I used a split foam roller designed for such a task and I couldn't be happier.

I've painted mine. Just used a roller with a longer nap. No special prep but use a good grade of ceiling paint.
Frank
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 15:19:10 -0600, "Brian O"

I've done a considerable number of them, especially in some of the local condo complexes. I use Benjamin Moore Regal Wall Satin and apply it with a high quality 3/4" nap roller. Don't overwork an area. Get the paint on quickly then move over before the carrier gets a chance to soften. If you do miss a spot, let the surrounding area dry before you touch it up. Cover everything well and wear a hat. That nap roller over popcorn will spatter a bit.
IMHO, there is only one way to paint a popcorn ceiling. Airless spray. Fast. Good coverage.
Steve