painting a metal fascia

I've got some exterior painting to do, where my client has a painted wood fascia about a foot wide with a painted metal fascia covering the top four inches or so. The paint on the metal part has worn the worst, and in spots has revealed the metal underneath.

How should I prepare these surfaces, and what paint would I use for the metal fascia in particular?

Cheers from NM,

Reply to
Uno

Ive painted metal trim by first priming it with automotive primer. I would look up information on priming the particulat type of metal you have as aluminum needs a different primer than galvanized steel.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

I would guess that the fascia piece you describe was fresh galvanized gravel guard flashing. Fresh galvanized is extremely difficult to paint. The old rule of thumb was to wash, wipe down with vinegar or other acid based primer, and then paint. The paint will then peel within a year. The alternative was to wait one year and paint it with anything you wanted. Once the initial oil and raw galvanizing has weathered for a year any kind of paint will stick just fine.

I would try to power wash the galvanizing to remove as much of the unbonded first coat as possible. Wire brush as necessary. There are some paints that have a formula favorable to galvanized bonding.

Here is some more information:

DanG

What kind of metal? If galvanized steel, Dan G gave you good info. If aluminum, any primer for metal followed by your choice of paint.

Zinnser (Rustoleum) has good primers.

BTW, I'm guessing but it is most likely that the metal is aluminum and that it is a drip edge...a piece that goes under the shingles, over the fascia and is a bit bent out at the bottom so that water doesn't run down the fascia itself.

Reply to
dadiOH

Thanks all for responses. Probably have more on this for you later.

Peace, love, occupy Your town

Reply to
Uno