painting a door

I just installed a solid flush 30" service door on my garage,it needs to be primed,now it's been raining for 2 days,the bottom 1/4 is damp,can I still paint it,try to dry it out with a hair drier,or just wait until the sun dries it out.Just worried that it might ruin the door.Thanks
pacca wrote:

Wait. However, if the "solid flush door" is a normal passage door the "solid" part is most likely particle board and it will be junk in short order painted or not. Steel or fiberglass would be a better choice.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

pacca,
Do you need this door? Can you take it down for a few days? If so put it in the garage and let it dry out. Then see if it's ok. I suspect that particle board was not a good choice and would recommend that you cover the exterior with something more substantial than paint.
Dave M.
yeah I can do that,what do you mean by something more substantial,the exterior has a veneer of Douglas fir.

Pacca,
,the

That's good. How are the edges? If they are some sort of cheap pine then your door will be ok after it dries out for a few days. I'd prime and paint before I rehang the door
Dave M.
pacca wrote:

As somebody else said, if you can remove the door (like there was an old one or similar) for a while and put it somewhere dry that would be better than letting it get sun on it while still unfinished and wet. Store it flat if possible and let it dry thoroughly--I would not try to accelerate the process other than to remove any surface moisture.
Depending on the area, it may take quite some time (weeks) if it really got soaked and the humidity is high.
You'll want to lightly sand to take the "fuzz" raised grain the moisture will likely have caused, then use a very good quality oil-based primer. Be especially certain to prime both top and bottom ends as well.
Then follow up w/ paint (I'd recommend a latex enamel, obviously exterior grade) of your choice consistent w/ the primer...
Should last a good long time...