Painting a chain link fence

Have an old chain link fence that's starting to rust. I want to paint it black. What is the best way? One of my concerns is not painting my neighbor's house:) Recommendations on paint?
Al
Big Al wrote:

Locate a large piece of cardboard, such as a refrigerator carton. Use that on the opposite side of the fence as a shield. I'd spray with an airless gun, but guess that rolling with a 1" pile roller might work also. When finished, go and to the other side.
Mark
sadly it will never look right, at all parts that touch rust will continue since things touch and move. been there done that..
better to replace mesh and be done with it.

1.) If you're going to do anything with it, do it soon. The rust is truly your mortal enemy. 2.) If you just paint it black, the rust will bleed back thru muy pronto. 2.) Surface prep to treat rust can be a severe PITA. But it's unavoidable.
Back in '97, I treated material rust on my CL fence with a Rustoleum product, then applied aluminum paint with a thick nap roller (very messy). The finish is still good, no rust bleed-thru. Onliest thing I can recommend (and it doesn't come in black).
Good Luck, Puddin'

Remove the rust using a wire brush. Prime with rusty metal Rustoleum primer. Paint with Rustoleum (black) paint. Normally, chain link fences are painted silver. I recommend using a roller and moving the roller lengthwise diagonally in the groove of the chain link fence. The process goes much smoother/faster having someone paint on the opposite side. Wear old clothes.
Replace the mesh with vinyl coated mesh the coror that you want. Green and black are readily available. When I had my custom gate made, it was no extra to get it too.
yeah the trouble is you cant paint the wire mesh where it touches and besides these wires move so paint doesnt stay intact.
painting is a temporary fix at best, and will require frequent repainting.
black may make the rusty more noticeable//

Al:
Be sure to check with your local building permits office.
Where I am 6 feet or under doesn't require a permit (permit is waived) but over 6 feet does and it's a fairly hefty price, IMHO, for something as simple as a fence.
Jay
Jay wrote:

One can't possibly need a permit to paint an existing fence, so what are you talking about?

This fence is on top of a short block wall and the fence is rusting. The wall has rust stains on it. That is one reason I want to paint it, to stop the rust. The other reason is it's in the path of my view. Being galvanized, it is not as transparent as a brown or black fence would be.
Al

Use a paint sprayer. Should you want to paint the wall, sprayers are about the best way to paint concrete and cinder block too.
A roller works as good as anything I have tried.

replying to Jay, David wrote: I'm 6'9". Do I need a permit to paint my fence? How much of a "hefty price" do I need to pay because of my height. I already have to pay (physically and emotionally) when I fly and buy clothes...now I have pay extra to paint my fence because of my height?
On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 1:44:05 PM UTC-6, David wrote:

Why in gawd's name would anyone paint a chain-link fence? ====
On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 9:08:56 PM UTC-4, Roy wrote:

10 year old thread, but I'll play along.
If I'm looking to buy (or sell) a house, which of these has more curb appeal?
Before:
http://www.myrepurposedlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/rusty-chain-link-fence.jpg
After:
http://brevardfence.com/images/stories/chain_link_fence_installation_melbourne_fl.jpg