Painting a cement patio slab

I have a patio slab that has moved noticeably due to the swelling clay ground underneath. I'm thinking of painting the slab to deter water from penetrating it.
Any pitfalls in this? Any suggestions for the best paint to use?

I very much doubt that the water causing the problem is going through the slab. Solve your problems don't create many more by painting a concrete slab.
--
Colbyt

That is the problem or likely so.

Not a solution.

Waste of money, time and effort.

Nope.

paint will forever peel crack etc from the slab.
you need drainage improvement all around the slab....... dig a ditch all around a foot lower than the slab and install a french drain... at least the exercise will do you good