Painting a Bathtub?

I have a porcelain bathtub that is as old as my house, which was built in 1962. The bathtub looks awful and I'd like to do something to improve the appearance. Most of the surface on the inside has been worn down to the point of being rough (the shiny surface has been worn off).

The key point I'd like you to consider is that this bathtub is never, ever used due to plumbing problems that I can't afford to fix right now. Eventually, I will have the whole bathroom redone, but not soon. The most I will ever do with this bathtub is pour a bucket of water down the drain.

Is there some clever way to improve the appearance of the inside of the tub - even something you might not normally use to "refinish" a bathtub (like cement paint or the stuff you put on basement walls to keep the moisture out)?

Put your thinking caps on and see if you can come up with something I might try.

Again, this is an unused bathtub. No kids bathing or anything.

Thanks in advance,

Reply to
Suzie-Q

If you are considering keeping this tub and want it to look good later, I suggest not doing anything now and wait until you can afford a few $$ and have it refinished professionally. Doing something now is likely to increase the price of doing it right later.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

No, I don't plan on keeping it. I will replace it with a fiberglass (?) tub.

Sue (remove the x to e-mail) ~~~~~~

Reply to
Suzie-Q

Then I suggest using one of the available products designed for just that. You should be able to find several choices are various paint and DIY stores.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Hi Sue!

S > I have a porcelain bathtub that is as old as my house, which was S > built in 1962. The bathtub looks awful and I'd like to do something S > to improve the appearance. Most of the surface on the inside has S > been worn down to the point of being rough (the shiny surface has S > been worn off).

Seems like it should have lasted a lot longer than that! This house was built in 1940-something and the (original) bathtub was just starting to look worn on the inside bottom surface (the one one stands one/lays on).

S > The key point I'd like you to consider is that this bathtub is never, S > ever used due to plumbing problems that I can't afford to fix S > right now. Eventually, I will have the whole bathroom redone, but S > not soon. The most I will ever do with this bathtub is pour a S > bucket of water down the drain.

If this pour-a-bucket-of-water is to keep the drain trap full try vegetable oil -- won't evaporate.

S > Is there some clever way to improve the appearance of the inside S > of the tub - even something you might not normally use to S > "refinish" a bathtub (like cement paint or the stuff you put on S > basement walls to keep the moisture out)?

As the tub is never used (other than possible water disposal - depends on bucket of water response) possibly just clean the surface real good with some sort of a mild acid, rinse thoroughly, let dry, then spray paint. Mask off the chrome plumbing: drain, overflow/drain lever. As you never use the tub you won't be subjecting the spray-painted surface to wear so I'm thinking the spray paint would be satisfactory, though I would probably use something like Rustoleum or an appliance paint as would adhere better.

You could even get a bit creative and two-tone your tub: original colour on the outside, maybe top depending on the condition, new contrasting colour on the inside.

Another possibility would be to turn the tub into something different like an aquarium. Cover the bottom with gravel, let the fishies swim around! Or maybe an overgrown flower pot -- maybe a Bonzai garden.

  • "My first sexual experience was on a farm," said Tom sheepishly.
Reply to
barry martin