painter's tape - removed before or after paint is dry?

Question - should one remove painter's tape before it is dried or after??

Howie

Reply to
Howie

"Howie" wrote in news:10ill7krjf7e134 @corp.supernews.com:

Before. If you do it after, the tape will stick to the paint,or, the paint will stick to the tape.

Bad either way.

Reply to
Dave Solly

Most people leave it on for a year or so. After that, it will never come off, so they just forget about it or paint over it.

Reply to
evolie

That makes no sense, by then it already has paint on it. Just remove it before you apply the paint.......

Reply to
evolie

Wait until it dries.

Reply to
Phisherman

I will try to explain the correct use of tape, since there seems to be a lot of confusion on this subject. First, you must start with a high quality tape (3M 2020, or better) Second, you must never let the tape touch the wall or opposing surface. Next, you lay a small bead of caulking on the edge of the tape and wipe it smooth. You then can paint the surface and after 24 hours the tape is pulled. It will provide a completely straight line will no seepage. Any variation to this will not attain good results. I just wonder why some people bother to tape when they do it a wrong and come out with poor results

Reply to
call_me_al

If they knew how to paint, they would not use tape at all. I have not used tape ever. I know how to cut the paint in, and besides skill, part of it is the kind of brush that is used.

Reply to
#########

I will try to explain the correct use of tape, since there seems to be a lot of confusion on this subject. First, you must start with a high quality tape (3M 2020, or better) Second, you must never let the tape touch the wall or opposing surface. Next, you lay a small bead of caulking on the edge of the tape and wipe it smooth.

apply caulking, wipe it smooth then let it dry? I don't quite get this... what does the caulking do?

You then can paint the surface and after 24 hours the tape is pulled. It will provide a completely straight line will no seepage. Any variation to this will not attain good results. I just wonder why some people bother to tape when they do it a wrong and come out with poor results

Reply to
Howie

I think I've seen two kinds of tape, to be removed after different waiting periods.

MB

On 08/24/04 01:39 am Howie put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

Painter's tape has a crepe texture, like ordinary masking tape. Paint can get under those ridges and leave a fuzzy line when the tape is removed.

Caulk fills the crepe texture so paint can't get under the tape.

-chib

Reply to
chibiabos

After you have cleaned, sanded, dusted, etc. - apply painter's tape and press it down to make sure paint doesn't seep under the edge. Paint. Remove tape off by pulling it back on itself; if you pull it straight out, you may pull off the paint. If tape is left in place until the new paint dries, the paint film will be continuous - on the wall and on the tape - and you risk tearing off the newly applied paint film.

As for painting a straight line without tape, I know HOW to do it but have never had success.

Painter's tape is also great for caulking a fine, straight line. Same principles apply.

Reply to
Norminn

Without caulk, paint will seep under any tape. either tape and caulk or forget it, and brush. How is it so hard to understand.

Reply to
call_me_al

Easy to understand, but I've had good results using a quality tape. I've never heard the tip about using caulk with painter's tape before. I like to do trim first, let it set several days (alkyd). Latex flat on most walls, alkyd semi-gloss for kitchen and bath. Works great for me, and it will last 20 years (Benjamin Moore).

Reply to
Norminn

I will assume drying of the paint and not the tape. If you must use tape, remove it after the paint has dried but before it has cured. If you need to, lightly score the edge of the tape with a razor blade, cutting the paint so that it won't pull off along with the tape. You should pull the tape almost straight back on itself.

Good Luck

Reply to
Baron

Do you put the caulk on the sticky side of the tape - and if so, how does it stick?

Reply to
D'Olier

It's hard for me to understand considering I have painted a lot of rooms without wasting time caulking, and I do not get the fuzzy line. No need to caulk if you use decent quality tape and make sure to pull it while the paint is still wet.

Reply to
mark

Without caulk, paint will seep under any tape. either tape and caulk or forget it, and brush. How is it so hard to understand.

"Do you put the caulk on the sticky side of the tape - and if so, how does it stick? "

You are joking, right? hpoefully, but if not, you caulk on the top edge of the tape between the wood and wall.

Reply to
call_me_al

Reply to
Phil Munro

For thirty years I've seen morons that won't listen to good advice. Hope you work on electrical and plumbing projects the same.Someone asks for advice, and 30,years in the painting business I think I'm more qualified than a hobby homeowner to give some advice., take it or leave it. I'll get to laugh and charge you for it later.

Reply to
call_me_al