painted luan floor?

Greetings,

I recently purchased a home with 1/8 4x8 Luan down over floorboards. There was carpet over the Luan but it was horrific so I tossed it. I have decided to paint the floors. As I see it there are two options:

1.. apply the floor paint directly to the luan 2.. rip up the luan, pull out the millions of staples, sand the floor, patch bad wood / holes, etc. Is there any reason why I cannot just paint the luan with floor paint? I understand it might not last as long as a painted / sanded floorboards but it will save me a few days of labor. If, after a few years of rental, the luan gets bad I can always rip it up and paint the floors at that point. I don't see a problem but I wanted to ask because I have never seen it done.

Thank you for your time,

William

Reply to
William Deans

Painted Luan? besides looking like crap it is crap.

Reply to
m Ransley

Of course you can paint the luan. Why not? It might look like crap, but then again, it's better than nothing. Heck, you could even get fancy and use a sponge to add a different color design over the first coat.

Reply to
ß©©ß

Greetings,

I am not intersted in how it looks... but more if there was a code issue, etc, etc.

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William Deans

It is a rental? Well there is nothing like keeping rents low by being a cheap ass and renting crap

Reply to
m Ransley

You dont care how it looks, only a ??? would not care , highest rents do not go to lanlords that think like you........,

Reply to
m Ransley