painted luan floor?

Greetings,
I recently purchased a home with 1/8 4x8 Luan down over floorboards. There was carpet over the Luan but it was horrific so I tossed it. I have decided to paint the floors. As I see it there are two options:
1.. apply the floor paint directly to the luan 2.. rip up the luan, pull out the millions of staples, sand the floor, patch bad wood / holes, etc. Is there any reason why I cannot just paint the luan with floor paint? I understand it might not last as long as a painted / sanded floorboards but it will save me a few days of labor. If, after a few years of rental, the luan gets bad I can always rip it up and paint the floors at that point. I don't see a problem but I wanted to ask because I have never seen it done.
Thank you for your time,
William
Painted Luan? besides looking like crap it is crap.
Greetings,
I am not intersted in how it looks... but more if there was a code issue, etc, etc.
Hope this helps, William

It is a rental? Well there is nothing like keeping rents low by being a cheap ass and renting crap
You dont care how it looks, only a ??? would not care , highest rents do not go to lanlords that think like you........,

Of course you can paint the luan. Why not? It might look like crap, but then again, it's better than nothing. Heck, you could even get fancy and use a sponge to add a different color design over the first coat.