Painted garage floor.

I recently painted my garage floor using concrete paint obtained from Home Depot. The paint went on well and looks Ok except in a few areas( about 2%) where it curled up and you were able to rub off the dried paint with the sole of your shoe. These areas where no were near oil may have sometime dropped. The concrete there looked rough and not smooth. The entire floor was degreased and wash with TSP. I would appreciate any help and ideas. Could it be a moisture problem?

Reply to
Tony

I recently painted my garage floor using concrete paint obtained from Home Depot. The paint went on well and looks Ok except in a few areas( about 2%) where it curled up and you were able to rub off the dried paint with the sole of your shoe. These areas where no were near oil may have sometime dropped. The concrete there looked rough and not smooth. The entire floor was degreased and wash with TSP. I would appreciate any help and ideas. Could it be a moisture problem?

Reply to
Tony

99.97% of the time, it will be a prep problem. Had to say from here what it was. Sure it could have been moisture. Have you noticed a moisture problem there?

BTW did you use a garage floor paint or just a concrete paint. Garages are generally subjected to tyres that are hot from driving and will lift the paint from the floor unless it is the special paint made to resist this.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

A garage floor that is dirty is the hardest thing to prep right. I once had 2 guys wash, acid wash twice and powerwash a total of 16-20 hrs to do it right, 20 yrs later the HC oil concrete stain is on but worn. Prep is 90% of the job, you did not mention Acid etching.

Reply to
m Ransley

Too add on to the original question for I am thinking of doing the same to the garage floor.

Is there a primer or sealer that should be used before the actual painting (with or without a sealant) ? I was thinking of putting that self leveling sealant before hand.

Reply to
avid_hiker

exactly, you say the trouble spots were the concrete is rough...?

so that says the rough spots took in water and now present a moisture repercussion where'as the smooth spots did not take in water

scrape the peely spots and put some more paint on them

Reply to
sosessyithurts

But he did mention the concrete was "rough", which is what acid etching accomplishes.

Reply to
jeffc

Acid also truely cleans deep pores of concrete. A garage floor is polluted from a cars tires and oil fumes.

Reply to
m Ransley