Painted deck:(

Trying to help a friends family, they have limited income and their dad painted:( their deck over 10 years ago. The railing was white, the structure brown. It was really paint not solid stain. Some of the railing white paint is still intact where it was protected from the weather. most of the brown paint is largely gone
Any good ideas? Pressure wash and hope to get it off? The paint is so weathered it would be nice to redo with solid color stain if possible.
anyone run into this? Its a BIG deck although I wouldnt mind stripping some of it the entire thing would likely cost a fortune we and they dont have.
Structurally it looks good, perjhaps one deck board has big crack that might need replaced
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

If it's solid color stain pressure washing may not be enough. Sanding. Lots of elbow grease,LOL.
pressure wash it and put down vinyl backed janitorial indoor/outdoor mats. this will trap the moisture and accelerate the peeling. come back next year with the pressure washer. once you paint a deck in buffalo ny it it will want paint every 2 years. i am sorry we ever started the transparent stain after our plain pressure treated deck was 12 years old. and don't urethane it either, that will peel.
lots of the paint has worn off, areas though still have white paint where it was protected from the weather a bit, like under railings.
since its early spring i might try pressure washing and see how much comes off. really cant strip it and will solid stain stick to a foremly painted surface?
Even though Consumer Reports says solid color stain is the best for decks, when it has to be redone you are in trouble, just like with paint. How do you get the garbage off? If you do sand, remember that treated lumber is dangerous so where dust masks and wash your hands and clothes often.

5000 psi pressure washer?
O am really torn as to how to proceed, a family member suggests replacing the entire deck but theres absolutely no money for that.
i may try some careful pressure washing and a test area with solid color stain.
will soild color stain stick to a well worn painted surface?