Paint woodwork and doors-

My house is about 18 years and I would like to give the house a more contemporary look by painting the stained/varnished trim to a solid color(probably white). Does anyone have any pointers as to the best way do this without impacting the floors or carpet? Is there a paint that will allow me to cover the varnish in 1 coat? In addition I have windows that are composed with 6 individual panes to each half of the window. Any advice on how to avoid getting paint on the glass and also how to keep it off of the aluminum tracks that hold the window in place?

TIA

Reply to
DK