Paint Won't Dry

Evening, all...

I have painted some plastic stuff with a craft paint specifically for plastic. However, after 1 week it has not dried. It is still tacky to the touch. I am considering using a clear polyurethane over the paint in hopes that it might leave a dry surface. Can anyone recommend this or have another approach? The paint will ultimately be up against clothing.

Regards...Bob

Reply to
Photon713

Contact the paint manufacturer. Certainly putting a coat of a potentially incompatible product on top of a product that is already known to have a problem is only asking for more trouble.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Do not do that. My only suggestion is to start from scratch. I don't know what went wrong, but I do know it will be extremely difficult to figure out. You're just asking for more headaches. Scrap it.

Reply to
jeffc

I agree. Adding another coat of almost anything on top of a non-dry coat will only make things worse. Was the paint you used quite old? I would try to scrape the tacky paint off if possible - see if mineral spirits softens it, or maybe acetone? What is the solvent recommended for cleanup? Anyway, when you start from scratch, I'd try newer paint, a different brand of paint, or paint thinned somewhat with mineral spirits (or appropriate solvent). Sorry and good luck, Andy

Reply to
aenewhouse

Your paint is defective likely the driers are missing, best is remove it if it wont dry in a warm dry environment.

Reply to
m Ransley