Paint Thinner Prices

Page 1 of 2
The last time I bought a gallon of mineral spirits (about 18 months ago, I believe) it cost $2.50. That was very high I thought at the time. Yesterday in Lowe's, I noticed the cheapest brand was selling for $8.00! Is there any reason for this other than plain greed and price gouging? Paul in San Francisco

Sure, lots of reasons. What is paint thinner made from? What fuel is used to transport it? What fuel is used to keep the store heated? What is selling for $100 a barrel?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Crude at $100 is up around 70 percent, but paint thinner at $ 8 then is up around 400 percent. Looks like greed and gouging to me at that rate.

There may be a bit of gouging, but that 70% applies to the cost of everything involved in making and transporting the mineral sprits also. Add fuel surcharges, heat, lighting, year end bonus for the CEO of Lowes, it all adds up.
Have you price other materials? Take a look at the cost of copper tubing and steel pipe. I'm paying $48 a foot for 12" pipe right now, 4" is about $28.
wrote in message

I deal with shipping grocery products as part of my job. Cases of liquids like cooking oil can't be stacked as high in the truck as stuff like cereal or paper towels, to use two examples at the other extreme. So, across-the-board shipping cost increases have a greater affect on products that don't occupy the space in the trailer to its fullest capacity.
wrote in message

Thanks, Joe. That's a component that had never occured to me. Life is full of facts which help to tie ends together.
wrote in message

It's simple math, really. If freight from point A to point B costs $1000.00 and you have 1000 cases on the truck, freight per case is a buck. Halve the number of cases, and now the freight is two bucks per case. Obviously, this doesn't explain the huge price jump that Paul mentioned. But, it explains some of it. Fuel costs also impact the delivery of raw materials to the manufacturer, as well as Home Despot's cost to bring product from warehouse to store.

dont forget hauling flamables now required a CDL driver and license. I used to sell methy alcohol for machines. Its cost per gallon doubled overnight because of regulator changes.

Budweiser?

Sewing Machine oil?

Interesting question. Make a note to call the manufacturer and find out more. Let us know what they say.

Laquer thinner is up in the double digits. I smell lawyers or environuts. The crude oil content of these products can't justify the added cost.
The selling price of a product is essentially unrelated to the cost of the product. All selling prices are set by the free market system, by the law of supply and demand, by what a buyer is willing to pay for it.
You paid $ 8 because that is the best price you can get anywhere. You cannot buy it cheaper.
If you have a garage sale, do you base your selling prices on your cost, or on what you think a buyer may pay for it?
--
Walter
www.rationality.net
Walter R. wrote:

True, unless plain greed, price gouging or illegal price fixing enter into the picture. I plan to follow JoeSpareBedroom's suggestion and see what spin the manufacturer tries to make me believe. Paul in San Francisco

Walter
www.rationality.net

Walter
www.rationality.net

I agree with you 99%, except that the government can impose price fixing, and institute monopoly powers, like in the case of the USPS. Of course, technically it's not illegal since it's got the government's stamp of approval.
Paul MR wrote:

It is not sane to believe a national chain - Lowes or Home Depot - would "gouge" or collude to fix prices on a gallon of paint thinner! Millions of dollars in fines, legal expenses, depositions, and possible jail terms would simply not be worth the profit.
Greed, on the other hand, is good.

I think that is true only in the short term. If paint thinner could be sold for $4.00 a gallon at a reasonable profit and the law of supply and demand made it sell for $8.00 a gallon, new companies would start making it and the companies that already make it would make more because they could make big profits on it. Soon the supply would increase until the price was around $4.00 a gallon.
If the makers of paint thinner were losing money on each gallon of paint thinner, they would decrease production or stop making it altogether until the price came up to where they could make a reasonable profit. -- I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets. They were all gourmands!

First off, define "reasonable profit".
How is what you're saying any different from Walter? As he stated, the price is determined by supply and demand. If the supply increases in your example without any more demand, the price will go down, as you noted. None of that has anything to do with the cost to make the product.