Paint that dries in three seconds

"[A company] has developed a family of "liquid solids" that are cured by exposure to ultraviolet light for a few seconds. Made up of nano-size particles (molecules measuring less than 1 billionth of a meter), the liquid solids ...could possibly eliminate a lot of the expense involved in applying protective coatings to electronic gadgets or patio furniture. It also doesn't give off hazardous fumes."

HeyBub

Isn't that what powder coat does?

Reply to
jeffc

How would you powder coat a room? Powder coated items need to be put in an oven to cure. UV light would be far simpler. UV light cured adhesives are what orthodontists use to bond brackets to teeth as speed is paramount. There would be a huge, instant market for such a coating.

The issue would be the UV threshold. I wonder how intense the UV light would have to be to kick off the reaction.

RicodJour

Who said anything about a room? He said electronic gadgets and patio furniture.

Reply to
jeffc

Most of these things sound great until you see the co$t.

bill

Reply to
bill allemann

I see the bigger picture. ;)

Seriously, being able to dispense with the baking part of the powder coating process would be a big advantage, wouldn't it?

RicodJour

Plywood's material cost was probably cost prohibitive until the installation time and expense was factored in, which drew more people to it, and which brought the plywood price down.

There's no reason to believe that an alternative painting process, using a different curing method, would have a different economics structure. Only time will tell.

RicodJour

It's technology I'm not familiar with, but it sure seems that way to me.

Reply to
jeffc