Paint Strippers

I want to strip the paint off of the molding in a room in my house. There are many coats of paint on the woodwork, but I'm not exactly sure how many. The house was built in 1820, so there are a lot.

What is the best chemical stripper nowadays, and do all of them require the use of a respirator like the old ones did (Zip Strip and the like)?

Rob NE Pennsylvania

Reply to
Rob Gray

The only respirator that works " partly " is a Chemical respirator, one good for Chemical attacks, a 3M Chemical will help, That is Cartriges, not Paper. As in Doctor office. Fresh air is best. Use the old Heavy Duty Marine, Get you high stuff. Of hire someone. Rember Burning off Vaporises Lead, you breath it . It makes you bumb - like me.......

Reply to
m Ransley

I don't know the name, but there was a stripper they (TOH) were using on the windows in the current bermuda show, where the owner/user said it smelled like peach yogurt. And Steve said they had used it on a whole house.

I didn't catch the name, but would like to know what they (TOH) uses.

Reply to
John Hines

Well, if you go to thisoldhouse.com, it says (under Bermuda Project, Resources, Paints and Finishes):

Brush-on Chemical Paint Stripper RemovALL 220 Supplier: Boston Restoration Supply, Inc. fax. 978-988-1177

Manufacturer: Napier Environmental Technologies Inc

720 Eaton Way Delta BC, Canada V3M 6J9 fax. 1-888-329-9274

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney