Paint sprayers / ramblings

In my home repair business I have used inexpensive ($300) paint pumps for about 15 years. I paint about 1 house every two or three months. My first sprayer lasted 12 years! I have always been very happy with the results. I recently stepped up to a $1000.00 paint pump because we are spraying one house per month now and they are larger homes than we have done in the past. Boy was I missing the boat. The new pump is way more efficient than the cheap pump. I can spray a stucco wall in one coat if the color change is not drastic and more easily pump un-thinned latex paint (which runs less on our cold Arizona days - ha ha). Another advantage seems to be less overspray and less pressure trying to blow our masking paper away - I am not sure how this works with more pressure but it does.

We also recently purchased a small hvlp (high volume low pressure) turbine spray system to paint security doors and to use in the finishing of the vintage travel trailers we do. I have only used it on a few security screen doors and have been very pleased with the results = extremely low overspray, great finish, low material use, The turbine uses warmed air to atomize the paint which helps it dry faster. I bought the latex tip also to do entry doors and other small jobs. I found our hvlp system used for $200.00 , but you can get a decent small one from $399.00 with shipping.

Just my thoughts and ramblings on my sprayer experiences.

AZCraig

cm

Thanks for the informative post. Answers a few questions I had about the systems.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Me, too. Thanks.

Reply to
RJP

I have also been using automotive anti freez in the maintenance and care of my paint pumps. At the end on the cleaning process I use a mixture of antifreez and water (ratio unimportant 50/50 maybe???) to prime and then spray until it reaches the gun and sprays through the tip. This leaves the mixture in the pump stopping rust and corrosion and it lubricates the pump. Then I remove the tip and filter from the gun and leave them in a bucket of the mixture. I don't even clean the gun I just dump all three pieces in the mixture and leave it untill next time. I have been doing this for over a year with no problems. The antifreez mixture is much cheaper than "Pump Armor" or the other commercial products for paint pumps.

AZCRAIG

Reply to
cm