Paint sprayers

Hi, I'm hoping to get some recommendations on a good paint sprayer for use on a house exterior. I'm not impressed with the Wagners I've seen - too much noise and vibration. Thanks, Henry
--

http://www.commondreams.org /

Henry H. Hansteen wrote:

Don't use a sprayer, the finished job won't be anywhere near as good as if you brush & roll it.
Besides, most of the work is in preparation (pressure washing, scraping, sanding, etc.) and a paint sprayer won't help with that.
Travis Jordan wrote:

Not necessarily true at all...

This part <is> true...
To OP, I've been quite pleased w/ the moderately priced Graco units (Orange BORG among other places)...
Plus your neighbors will hate you. I used one to do the fence one year and the slight breeze took the paint all over the place. Never again.

LOKI wrote:

the sprayer per se. Any open surface such as a fence needs a backup it you're going to spray and are where drift is a possible issue.
Travis Jordan wrote:

I have to paint siding made of cedar shingles. It's almost impossible to get between them with a brush, but I was planning on brushing the paint in after it is sprayed on to work it deeper into the wood.
-
http://www.commondreams.org /
"Henry H. Hansteen" wrote:

Henry H. Hansteen wrote:

The only advice I'll offer is to stay away from Wagner sprayers. I bought one (to save money) and ended up having to buy another one to finish spraying the house. The paint (good brand outdoor latex) clogged the pump motor. IMHO they're junk.
inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don\'t know

I bought a Campbell-Hausfeild something like 10 years ago. Outside for large expanses it works well. I have used in inside a couple of times and yikes, it just puts out to much paint but works well on popcorn ceilings. Like all tools it takes time to get used to it. Maintenance is critical.
Mine rattles and shakes but puts the paint where I want it.
I have had it professionally rebuilt 2 years ago. Cost $130.00 if I had the time and known where the parts could have been had, I could have done it for about $80.00. I am strictly a latex guy with this machine. I dilute the paint 1 gallon of water to 5 of paint. I do 3 coats, one up and down one side to side and one diagonally. If your doing a block wall this is the way to do it.
HighVolumeLowPressure spray systems are turbine driven sprayers that actually deliver a decent finish (unlike the much hyped wagner that was a POS) At around a hundred bucks, can you go wrong? www.princessauto.com has em cheap right now.
-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com
Remove the obvious to reply. Experienced and reliable Concrete Finishing and Synthetic Stucco application in the GTA.