Paint sprayer recommendations

I plan to paint my own house this summer along with a 6 foot high multilayered (not flat) wood fence. I had planned to buy a Wagner system, but criticisms on this newsgroup prompt me to reconsider.

Two questions: (1) What is the best method to accomplish my tasks (sprayer, power rolling, brush, ???) (2) If spray is the best, what makes and models are recommended.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Celtfire

My needs are modest: paint one side (and four edges) of 11 decorative, louvered, window shutters. With the burgundy red color I'll be using, there is already a warning that I may have to apply two coats. If the sprayer requires further thinning of the latex paint, I may have to apply three coats.

With a brush, each shutter takes 25 minutes to apply one coat. So even if I don't have to apply a second coat, it's a 5+ hour job.

Thanks,

Ray

Reply to
Ray K

There is a nifty gadget for spraying smaller stuff, although 11 is a larger project than I have used them for. Preval Spray Gun is an 8 oz. bottle for your paint, air cartridge screws on top. Instructions with sprayer tell you how much to thin. Home Depot has them, as do some paint stores. Can get refill air cartridges, too. I used oil paint, thinned with ?Penetrol (from paint store). There is a special product for thinning latex. I brushed the frames of louvered closet doors and sprayed the louvers and inner surface of the frames. The spray pattern is small, so it is perfect for louvers. Use a foam brush wrung out with the appropriate liquid to smoothe runs or drips. My doors had previously been painted upside-down, with lots of drips that pointed up :o) I sliced those off with razor scraper and sanded a little bit.

Reply to
Norminn

Paint sprayers are perfect for this kind of job. HOwever, if it's the only time you'll use one, go to the local rental shop & see if they have one you can use for the weekend.

you will almost certainly be thinning the paint.

Reply to
Bob M.

Bob,

The local rental place - generally a comprehensive place - offered nothing for this type of project.

Ray

Reply to
Ray K

Norminn,

Sounds like a great gadget. Just last night, I was at the HD paint department and asked about a $45 Wagner sprayer they sold. (Said it doesn't handle latex paint.) I wonder why they didn't mention the Preval gun. (Maybe if I had described the project they would have brought it to my attention.) I'll check it out today.

After experimenting with a brush, I find I really do need two coats to get a nice finish of the desired color. The shutters are about 18" x

51", so I got my work cut out for me.

Thanks for the great lead.

Ray

Reply to
Ray K

Norminn,

Sounds like a great gadget. Just checked the HD and Lowes websites; neither shows the Preval. Amazingly, the Preval site doesn't say where to buy it, but googling around suggests auto or boat stores.

Newsgroups give mixed reviews. Preval's site is too big on hype, and lacks an FAQ section that typically answers the nitty-gritty details.

After experimenting with a brush, I find I really do need two coats to get a nice finish of the desired color. The shutters are about 18" x

51", so Preval or brush, I got my work cut out for me.

Thanks for the great lead.

Ray

Reply to
Ray K

Reply to
nospambob

clipped

I'm not thrilled with HD, so when I bought another sprayer recently for a craft project, I went to Lowe's first. Paint dept. guy had never heard of it, but was interested. Went over to HD and, as usual, had to find it for the clerk......bottom shelf on the back of the cashier section in paint dept. :o) There is nothing nicer for louvers or other small projects. I did my doors with one coat of primer and two of paint. I purposely kept the paint coats light so's I didn't get drips. I brushed the frames, then sprayed the insides of the frame and edges of the louvers first, to be sure they were covered, and went over the flat louvers next. I like alkyd for doors and trim, and kept a foam brush wrung out in mineral spirits to catch drips and runs. Penetrol doesn't make the paint "drippy" in the proportions called for, and there is a similar product for latex.

Reply to
Norminn

clipped

I first heard about them when I did some "wishful thinking" out loud at the Ben Moore store. "I wish I had a can to spray my own paint with"..clerk said there was such a thing, so I found one at HD. I have gotten them at other Ben Moore stores. I painted my old range hood with one, metal primer and enamel, and it looks terrific. Air refills don't go a real long way, but I have reused them for different projects...just empty the bottle and wash it out. I'm always messing with some project, latest being a nice oak dresser a neighbor dumped at the curb...brass locks on all of the drawers :o)

Reply to
Norminn

I found one in a small paint chain. The package says "for water based paints, acrylics, and latex flat - thin at 3:1 ratio." Two problems right there. I'm not going to use flat, and the paint I plan to use says not to dilute more than 1/2 pint per gallon, which works out to 16:1 paint/water ratio. Far too thick for the Preval.

Ray

Reply to
Ray K

Ok, well if you're going to buy one, spend the bucks and get one worth having. One that can do latex, oil and stain.

Reply to
Bob M.

HVLP is the best way to go, maybe something like this.

You could get a better HVLP setup but it will cost 10x as much.

Reply to
** Frank **

This seem too good to be true. I'll try to find user feedback on some forum. Thanks for the lead.

Wagner offers one in this price range, but there are a lot of negative comments about it.

Ray

Reply to
Ray K

I know of several people who has tried this and I have seen the results of one that sprayed some patio furniture that I would of thought an expensive sprayer was used.... they bought a cheap yard/garden sprayer, like what you would use for pesticides.

Lar

Reply to
Lar