paint removal / repainting brass

Have some brass hinges and door knobs (1950's) that have several layers of door paint from previous owners simply painting over the hardware when painting the doors. In your experience what is the best paint remover for these that won't damage the metal but will get the paint off the easiest?
Also, we'd like to repaint them. I was thinking of using automotive paint, first spraying a primer layer, then 1-2 coats of the metallic colour we want, then a clear coat for protection. Is this overkill? We want it to look good and wear well. I've used spray paint desgined for metal before on other items but it always seems to chip off and in the past I've had much better luck with automotive paint. Any other suggestions?
Thanks.
--
Remove YOUR CLOTHES to email me.

You could soak for a few days in TSP and water, or paint remover. and just spray them
<< what is the best paint remover for these that won't damage the metal but will get the paint off the easiest? >>
3M has one that gets a lot of buzz in this NG, but likely many of the organic solvent ones you'll find on the paint store shelves will work just fine.
<< in the past I've had much better luck with automotive paint. >>
So have many other people. It tends to be less popular with DIYers because you can't be a klutz and get away with it. Go ahead and use it and enjoy the better durability inherent in those products. HTH
Joe
I used the orange stuff (paint remover for indoor use that you can buy at HD, Lowes, WalMart, etc.) It might take several iterations, but it works. And I polished by brass when I was done (no paint) and it looks great.
Citris Strip? I used that to rejuvinate a brush I neglected.