paint removal / repainting brass

Have some brass hinges and door knobs (1950's) that have several layers of door paint from previous owners simply painting over the hardware when painting the doors. In your experience what is the best paint remover for these that won't damage the metal but will get the paint off the easiest?

Also, we'd like to repaint them. I was thinking of using automotive paint, first spraying a primer layer, then 1-2 coats of the metallic colour we want, then a clear coat for protection. Is this overkill? We want it to look good and wear well. I've used spray paint desgined for metal before on other items but it always seems to chip off and in the past I've had much better luck with automotive paint. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Reply to
blue

You could soak for a few days in TSP and water, or paint remover. and just spray them

Reply to
m Ransley

I used the orange stuff (paint remover for indoor use that you can buy at HD, Lowes, WalMart, etc.) It might take several iterations, but it works. And I polished by brass when I was done (no paint) and it looks great.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

Reply to
nospambob