Paint questions

If I have a mostly-full can of primer that has a little rust in it from the lid of the can, is it safe to try to pour or spoon out that rust, stir well and use that primer? Or will I regret it?
It's for re-painting an interior room.

Start by vacuuming the rim using the wand attachment to pick up as much loose stuff as possible. Then, you might be able to dab up whatever lands on the surface using a paper towel. Real hardware stores often sell new cans, by the way. You might try calling a paint store like Sherwin Williams to check that out. They also sell filters for resuscitating contaminated paint. That and a bucket and you're in business.

Do it right and use a filter. My favorites are the full-can size--line an empty bucket with the filter, pour in the paint, and lift the filter. All the solids stay in the filter, and the paint stays in the bucket.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

You can't just pick out the pieces you see. The rust you don't get will end up on the wall and bleed through the paint. You can filter out the rust by pouring it through pantyhose or a store-bought paint filter (they're cheap).
On Mon, 25 May 2009 07:22:42 -0700 (PDT), against all advice,

The expensive part of a paint job is the labor, not the paint. If you have any question at all about the quality of your materials, replace them.
--

Don\'t worry about people stealing an idea. If it\'s original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.

I agree. Buy new paint and use this next time you replace carpet to paint the floor b/4 putting down the new carpet.
On May 26, 12:09pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Say what?
On May 26, 11:09am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Ok, why do you, paint floors.

Errr, maybe to keep the dog piss from getting beyond the pad :-)