Paint Question

Page 2 of 2
On 12/19/2013 1:48 PM, Dottie wrote:

Are you in warm location (Florida, or ?)? Concrete block and stucco? Stucco is already painted? Present condition...peeling, cracked, mildewy?
My experience was in Florida, where almost all recent construction is stucco on concrete block and using semi-gloss acryllic or "latex" paint. Our condo had had a horrible paint job, with no prep, which resulted in heavy mildew growth under the paint coat and much peeling. Pressure washing is a must; our contractor sprayed on a bleach solution prior to pressure washing....that seemed odd to me but it was a contractor with a lot of commercial business, good reputation and the paint job lasted fine 10 years afterward. There were many fine, hairline cracks in the stucco and they used brushable (flexible) caulk prior to painting; that concealed all cracks and the cracks did not reappear. The contractor offered priming and one or two coats of paint in his bid; our condo went for priming and once coat, which looked fine. We got the contractor's name from a paint store, and as part of the paint co. guarantee process, the paint co. sent a rep to inspect the preparation before the painting was done. It was a big learning experience, and I think we really lucked out...I helped the building manager at the time with obtaining bids and managing the upheaval during three weeks of very messy work - eight unit condo. A previous bid was $27,000 for "elastomeric" paint, two coats. The bid we accepted, and I am not likely to go for a lowest bid, was just under $7,000. One hell of a difference, but I had a gut feeling about a minute after meeting the contractor that he was the right one.
Comparing paint only by brand name is relatively useless...check out the websites for a couple of paint companies and look at the products recommended for your conditions, read the tech info for the product.
Dottie:
To be perfectly honest, I would be inclined to go with the painter that intends to use SW Duration paint. This paint is widely regarded to be Sherwin William's best exterior latex paint, and Sherwin Williams generally makes good quality paints.
Consumer Reports NEVER EVER said that Behr was the best paint. They gave it a "Best Buy" Rating because it's better quality than you'd expect to get in a paint costing $18 per gallon. That's only because when a hardware store chain decides to start selling their own house brand of paint, they do surveys to find out what their customers needs are, and what their customers feel decent quality paint should cost. The hardware store chain then gets estimates from several different paint manufacturers to supply it with paint costing from $25 to $40 per gallon (for example) at a rate of 5,000 gallons per month (for example). Each paint manufacturer sharpens up his pencil and figures out what he can do, and since the price has already been determined, the volume discount the hardware store chain would normally get ends up going to the consumer in the form of better paint for the price they're paying.
The above is the ONLY reason why house brand paints like Home Depot's Behr brand or Lowe's "American Tradition" paints often score "Best Buy" ratings in Consumer Reports. But, since your average consumer knows next to nothing about paint, they read more into that Best Buy rating than they should, and conclude that it's the best paint available, and that's nonsense.
What I'd do if I were you Dottie is to phone around to several other painting contractors you haven't dealt with yet and just tell them you have to choose between Sherwin Williams Duration paint and Behr Premium Plus or Behr Marquee. Ask them which paint they would choose if they were painting their own house. Discourage them if they start fishing for information, such as where you live and whether you want a free quote from them as well. Just tell them you want to know which paint they'd use on their own house if given the selection you have to choose from.
--
nestork

On Thursday, December 19, 2013 8:59:12 PM UTC-5, nestork wrote:

That's not true. Apparently Consumer Reports gave Behr paints top ratings based just on performance, not on price. And it wasn't an $18 product ei ther. Either that or the Boston Globe, among other sources, is lying:
http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2013/07/20/behr-stands-out-among-paints -and-stains/Q9JowWlS6EREarrocXWbfP/story.html
It’s official: Home Depot’s Behr brand tops two of the three major type s of exterior paints and stains. In fact, Consumer Reports’ results show that there’s little reason to go anywhere but that store if you want a fi nish that stands the test of time. Flat and satin paints are what most people use on siding. Resistance to cra cking, fading, and mildew after the equivalent of nine years outside helped put Behr's Premium Plus Ultra Flat, $37 per gallon, and Satin, $39, at the top.
Behr interior paint has also been #1 for interior paints:
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/the-best-interior-paints-are-l-108775
"While the Consumer Reports ratings vary depending on the type of paint fin ish, Home Depot's paint, Behr, came out on top in all 3 finish types. The B ehr Premium Plus Ultra was best overall, and has only 50 (claimed) VOC gram s/liter at $31-$34/gallon. That's compared to Benjamin Moore Natura, which also claims to have 50 VOC grams/liter at $50/gallon but came in at #12 for low-luster finishes, #4 in Flat/Matte finishes and #2 in Semigloss finishe s. Additionally, the Behr paint does not need a primer and may even need on ly one coat, meaning it can go even further than the competition.
Here's the Consumer Reports rated top 5 for each finish type:
Low-Luster (Satin & Eggshell) 1. Behr Premium Plus Ultra (Home Depot), $33/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter 2. Kilz Casual Colors (Walmart), $22/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter 3. Valspar Signature Colors (Lowe's) $32/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter 4. Glidden Premium (Home Depot), $20/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter 5. Behr Premium Plus Enamel (Home Depot), $23/gallon, 150 VOC grams/liter
Flat & Matte 1. Behr Premium Plus Ultra, $31/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter 2. Behr Premium Plus Enamel, $17/gallon, 100 VOC grams/liter 3. Valspar Signature Colors, $28/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter 4. Benjamin Moore Natura, $50/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter 5. Olympic Premium (Lowe's), $16/gallon, 0 VOC grams/liter
Semigloss 1. Behr Premium Plus Ultra, $31/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter 2. Benjamin Moore Natura, $50/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter 3. Valspar Ultra Premium (Lowe's), $23/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter 4. Valspar Signature Colors, $32/gallon, 50 VOC grams/liter 5. Benjamin Moore Regal, $45/gallon, 150 VOC grams/liter
That's only because

Nonsense, per the above.
But, since your average consumer knows

Perhaps you should check your facts first before talking about consumers wh o knows next to nothing.

And finally, if you want to drag Sherwin Williams into it, I find their business practices less desirable than either HD or Benjamin Moore. At the BM store, I can get their paint any day for $35 a gallon. The similar paint at SW is $55. Then every few months SW has a big "sale", 40% off special. That makes their paint about the same price that I can get at BM or HD any time.
I just had that experience with SW with a bonding primer. I bought XIM Peel Bond at a local small paint store for $35. That is widely regarded as the best product for that application. At SW, for their similar product, it was $50, but because they were having one of their super-duper 40% off sales, I got it for $30. But if it didn't happen to be the sale time, SW prices, at least at the store near me, are nuts.
Allways two coats paint on the outside
Have a good day
On Thursday, December 19, 2013 1:48:08 PM UTC-5, Dottie wrote:

is stucco. One estimate was from a man who uses Sherwin Williams but the other two were from men who uses Behr. One offers pressure washing with mo ld/mildew remover, a sealer and two coats of Behr Premium Plus. The other pressure washing with mold/mildew remover, one coat of Behr Marquee. (The Marquee is said to include a sealer). It was not on the market when Consum er Reports tested paints last year -- and named Premium Plus the best paint . I am a little reluctant to rely on Marquee -- it costs more and hasn't b een around long enough to know how well it will hold up. The painter using it thinks I'm being silly. He and the other painter (Prem.Plus fan) have both been in business about 25 years.

to screw up. Thanks.
The house (according to property appraiser) is 1664 sq.ft. Estimates rang e from $2,500 to $2,085. The lower estimate includes a discount for using Angie's List. There was another one for $2400 which includes a $200 discou nt for Angie's List and one from a man who uses PPG Paints. He painted the house behind me and it looks good. He is not licensed or insured in my co unty though ... and his price was $2,200.
Dottie wrote:

Surely you will drop that one first!
Dottie wrote:

Sounds like you have the process of getting prices etc. under control, and the prices are all falling within a reasonable range of each other.
For a relatively small job like this that shouldn't take long to do -- maybe 2 days (+/-) -- the only other suggestion that I would have is to not pay any money up front. No deposit, no money for materials, etc. Just tell the contractor that you will pay him/her in full as soon as the job is completely done.
Once you pay a contractor any money or deposit up front, he/she already has most or all of his "profit" in his pocket before doing any work. So, there is little incentive to show up and get your job completed. If you pay in full when the job is done, with no money down, the incentive is to show up to your job, complete the job, and get paid.