paint question

I recently purchased 5 gallons (in 5 separate cans) of Behr latex paint from Home Depot. Looking back, I probably should have purchased a single 5 gallon container, but I initially felt that I would only need 3-4 gallons, so I had to return to the store for more.
The paint was mixed at the store and all labels on the cans were the same as far as mixtures.
However, in at least two of the cans the paint shade was somewhat different after it was applied to the (inside) walls, resulting in a partial repaint.
Is this common when purchasing separate cans, even though the mixture should have been the same?
I stirred each can thoroughly before application.
Thanks.
trailer wrote: ...

Yep...despite those who seem to have absolute faith in the mixing machines, there's still minor variability.
Lesson learned -- mix separate cans before applying as well as stirring to eliminate the possible problem.

Sure its normal for HD, HD is not a Paint store. but mixing a batch removes error, errors always happen. It is your fault.

Yep, ideally get it mixed in 5 gal bucket but you've explained that. Been there myself.
I suppose you realized as you ran low you needed more. In this case ideally:
    End a room with what you have before changing gallons supply.     Take what's left over from previous room/area and mix in 5 gal          container with new supply.     Don't change supply within a room but if "forced", change at a          new wall.     Never change supply in the middle of a wall but if "forced",          gradually sift in more new supply to the old as you move          along    the wall.
IMHO, color differences should not really be noticable between rooms where painted walls are separated by trim. Either the mix is bad or it's just the light differences between the areas and at different time of the day/night.
Red... (not a pro, just a professional wanna-be)

The paint may have come from different lots, or groups. Different lots, same mfgr = possibly different color.