Paint primer Question

Hello:
When selecting a paint primer, is the primer selected on the basis of what it is to be going over (e.g. existing latex or oil paint), or what will be painted over it as a finish coat ?
Or, are both a factor ?
Thanks, Bob
What you are priming is how you select it, but I would not use latex primer and oil topcoat, on exterior I would not use latex primer, just slow drying oil. Everything must be compatible, buy your stuff at a real paint store for real advise.
Robert11 wrote:

Primer is primer - oil or latex topcoat can go over oil or latex primer. The difference is what it's going over. If it's new construction, either will probably work ok. If you're going to paint over knotty wood, water stains, crayon or pencil marks, etc. they will bleed through latex primer so you should use oil based primer instead. Get opinions from the net, but get professional advise from your local paint dealer. Enuf
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

special drywall primer.

IMO oil based primer on the exterior and a top coat of your choice. I have seen way too much rotten wood where latex primer is used. The oil will stop the moisture penetration.
Colbyt

I have a thread going on an old door. When I was at the hardware store today, I got latex primer and latex finish paint for exterior because I'm tired of messing with cleaning brushes and the mess the oil-based paints cause.
I'm already using Rustoleum primer and paint (oil-based) which requires mineral spirits, messy, on another project.
If I keep my project painted with latex when it needs it, what do I have to worry about other than everything wears out eventually?
If I have the time and patience, I really like the oil-based paint finishes better. People seem to notice a difference in the quality of the finish and feel of it.
To do it right, it takes a heck of a lot of time and work, one coat of primer and preferably two finish coats. I paint with a brush because I'm leery of sprayers getting clogged and don't want to spend the money on one now, plus the waste (maybe if you spray some things right, there isn't much waste). If you use oil base and don't clean those right, your sprayer is ruined. Maybe even latex ruins it. My son had one, a friend borrowed it, didn't clean it up right, and ruined it. Maybe there is a way to get them working again, but who needs the extra hassle? It's hard enough to finish things as it is.