Paint/primer combined

Page 2 of 2

Would I trust the paint/primer? Sure. Would I spend the money for it? Highly doubtful. Drywall sucks up paint, and primer is a cheap way to seal the drywall. It makes little sense to use expensive paint as sealer since you'll still have to do two coats of finish.
It won't peel, you'll just be throwing money away. On top of previously painted walls it makes more sense to use the paint/primer stuff, but in that situation most of the time you don't need any primer at all anyway.

A gallon is a gallon. If they put something in they must take something out. I'll stick with a gallon of regular paint contents like pigment.
On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 09:06:00 -0800 (PST), cubby

The new "self priming" third generation latex paint actually does a pretty good job. I've used CIL and Benjamin Moore Count on 2 coats, particularly on fresh drywall.
On 11/9/2010 5:31 PM snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca spake thus:

Well, you say it does a good job, so we'll have to take your word for it, but does it save money, time or effort? Why use it instead of traditional primer and paint?
On 11/9/2010 12:06 PM, cubby wrote:

Hey, anything is possible.
But Behr is noted for it's lack of covering. The painters I know think it's the worst stuff possible.
If it's your place, buy some good paint. And if you want to make sure you don't have to put yet another coat on, start with with some Kilz 2 and use something else (Benny Moore, SW, Duron...). Behr is famous for always looking like it needs another coat.
Otherwise no direct experience with paint and primer combo.
Jeff

Behr exterior paint is pretty well regarded. http://www.consumersearch.com/exterior-paint Their interior paint is a bit tougher to nail down. As this report mentions, the reviews are all over the map. http://www.consumersearch.com/interior-paint/best-interior-paints
I would say that paint follows an inverse wine law. When choosing an inexpensive wine from a menu, choose the second to cheapest. It will usually be the best value. In paint, reverse that, pick the second to most expensive paint in a lower brand name paint line up and you'll probably get good paint at a reasonable price.
Of course my rule of thumb might be all thumbs. ;)

Behr exterior paint is pretty well regarded. http://www.consumersearch.com/exterior-paint Their interior paint is a bit tougher to nail down. As this report mentions, the reviews are all over the map. http://www.consumersearch.com/interior-paint/best-interior-paints
I would say that paint follows an inverse wine law. When choosing an inexpensive wine from a menu, choose the second to cheapest. It will usually be the best value. In paint, reverse that, pick the second to most expensive paint in a lower brand name paint line up and you'll probably get good paint at a reasonable price.
Of course my rule of thumb might be all thumbs. ;)
Have used Behr All in one(Eggshell) over new drywall several times mostly in my own house just to check it out because alot of my drywall cutomers ask about it when painting it themselves...Works great , goes on good and covered in 2 coats...HTH...
I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that with the new laws against oil based paint , low oder paint and other eco-nonsense , that it doesn't seem to matter much which brand you buy now..I painted the trim on SWMBO's new garden shed back in 2007 with Ben Moore's..Used Trouble Shooter Primer and Exterior Latex Satin..Took my time and did it by the book and it's peeling already..Helped my dad do some painting with cheap shit from Walmart and it's doing slightly better...Go figure..Same with the stain...Bought Cabots for the T-111 on the garden shed and it's peeling as well..My dad used cheap Walmart stain on his steps and it's doing pretty good..Same inside..He used the cheap stuff and it looks great....Go figure....