Paint overspray prevention?

I have not so far used my Magnum paint sprayer, but when my wife mentioned to our neighbor that I was planning to use it to paint our wood siding, she (the neighbor) expressed great concern that the overspray would pollute their new-last-year vinyl siding. Our end walls face each other about 20ft apart.
I am planning to practice first on our shed, which is well away from their house, but are there any general tips for preventing overspray? -- apart from the obvious warning not to spray when the wind is blowing in their direction. I'll be using latex paints, if that makes a difference.
Perce

20 ft apart ??? FORGET IT...Unless you'ld like to buy your neighbor new siding....With neighbors that close you can forget about any outside spraying..You'll be paying for car damage as well as new siding...

Would wetting down the neighbors house before you start spraying help???

That crossed my mind too.
Perce
benick wrote:

Even with an airless sprayer?
So who uses these sprayers that are on sale "everywhere" if they are unsuitable for use in ordinary subdivisions?
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Twenty feet apart isn't an ordinary subdivision, it is a ghetto :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

I may have underestimated the 20ft somewhat. It's no ghetto (our lot is almost 3/8 acre, the neighbor's a little less), but each of these two houses has been built with the garage end not far from the property line. On the other end of our house, where a living area faces the neighbor's living area, the separation is greater.
Perce
dadiOH wrote:

20 feet is typical for anything but a McMansion subdivision, and even some of those place the houses very close on tiny lots, for yuppies that don't care to be bothered with much lawn upkeep. On old urban lots, a 10 foot side yard would be considered a fancy extra-large lot. On real old urban lots with alleys, less than 10 feet between houses was quite common.
(looks out window) In this semi-rural 1960 sub, distance from my garage to neighbor seems to be about 25 feet. Used to be further, but previous owner added a 2-car garage with family room behind, and buried the old 1-car garage in the basement. (Wish there was a cheap way to un-bury it. It would make a good woodshop if it had an outside entrance.)
-- aem sends... -- aem sends...
Perce,
We do it all the time. If I have any concerns I have my helper stand about 15 or 20 feet away and watch which way the over spray is going during the first few blasts of the gun. You can also turn down the pressure and buy a tip that has a lower out put of paint to minimize over spray.
If your neighbors house is a single story you might buy a roll of very thin plastic sheeting that comes in 9' wide by either 400' or 600' lengths for $15 to $20 bucks. Use blue painters tape and cover the side of their house. The plastic comes in a red and white box at HD or Lowe's.
Always have the hose nearby.
Painters do this every day. The nay sayers are just wrong.
Magnums are great pumps for the money. After cleaning run a mixture of automotive anti freeze and water thru the pump and gun to lubricate and prevent the innards from rusting.
cm

I have never met a painter who has had to file an insurance claim for their overspray.
cm

I guess the painters you know are real and experienced painters that take all necessary precautions. Still, I bet they have a general coverage policy.
replying to cm, big bill wrote: You must paint on labor day weekend when neighbor are gone.

Ive sprayed many jobs, at least 400-450 gallons through my Titan, once I was spraying my place in no real wind, my car was 60-70 ft away so I made sure it was calm out, but it got sprayed with oil stain, luckily we noticed it and had hand cleaner on hand and the oil had not cured. 20 ft away, you dont practice your spraying as you say you will, you dont spray with anything 20 ft away unless you know the wind is blowing the other way All the time. Id suggest you get 100ft of plastic drops or do what is normal, Roll it with a 5 gal bucket,, screen, and 1 1/4" roller. You could get a roller atachment for the sprayer but I can roll just as fast with a bucket and thick nap roller. You ask what do people do with all the sprayers they buy, they make alot of mistakes. I own my sprayer and used to paint 20-30 houses a summer, I could only use the sprayer maybe once a year outside, it got 10x more use inside on complete rehabs. Dust her fence with your product and if its a plastic white fence you Owe her a New fence, if its already painted you owe her a full paint job. I dont think you have thousands to waste or want an enemy.
ransley wrote:

No fence on which to get paint.
As you say, a roller attachment is available for this sprayer, but the Graco Web site suggests that it is only for indoor jobs. Any reason it would not be recommended for outdoor use?
Perce

Probably its low nap maybe 1/2" like mine, if fence is smooth it might work, but a roller and bucket does work, maybe return the sprayer and buy a TV or new monitor.