Paint over wallpaper or re-drywall?

Page 2 of 2

Mike wrote:

I would try steaming it .
You can test a small patch with a steam iron , if that works well, you can rent a steamer to do the rest of it .
The steam shouldnt do any damage to the drywall, but you can leave it dry for a day or two if you want before priming.
I had the same problem, but a little worse. The people before me had papered, then pulled off the paper, left the glue and painted. Then papered again. So I got the top level paper off, and was looking at painted glue. After putting in a full day of meticulously removing the painted glue without destroying the drywall I gave up. I hired someone to come out and skip-trowel the whole room. I think it cost maybe 175$ for the 10x10 room. Best money I ever spent.
Mike wrote:

Wallpaper comes off easily, once the paste is softened. Getting water to the paste is the tricky part. I certainly would not try to put new wallboard around bath fixtures. I have used extra coarse sandpaper to cut just the surface of wallpaper when it won't peel off. If the surface peels off, just spray the underlying paper well, let it soak and start scraping GENTLY. If the surface doesn't peel off, use the sandpaper to score it horizontally. Spray, soak, spray, soak, scrape. Washing off the remaining paste is the only hard part of this chore. I've never used steamers or chemicals - wallpaper paste just needs water.

Listen to this advise I've removed more than my share of wall paper. It's really straight forward if you get a good sprayer, garden sprayers are IMO the best. Use hot tap water and soak the paper several times when required until the wheat paste beneth the paper becomes wet. Once the paste is wet the paper will start to pull off in complete sheets. If the paste is soft you don't have much need for a scraper.
Let the first coat soak in for awhile and spray a second time before trying to remove. Put drops or something down to catch the excess water and have sponges handy to dry the baseboards. The remaining paste is washed off with a wet sponge, then set a fan to dry the walls.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Have you ever removed wallpaper that's been put up over bare, unpainted, sheetrock? You haven't a clue!
--
Keith

Unpainted sheetrock yes but someone was sharp enough to size the wall before papering. I've seen walls that appeared to be bare because they were sized with transparent products and even diluted wheat paste. But if you mean completely bare with nothing in the form of sizing used before hanging the paper then no I've not had the pleasure to have seen a job done that poorly.
There doesn't have to be any sign of paint on the wall to have been sized and hung properly, some DIYers will paper over paint (not a good idea) but few would hang paper on a bare wall. I'd want to be very sure it was bare before advising to gut the walls and hanging new drywall.
Giving it one good try at removal won't cost much but a little time.
Someone off their meds?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

I mean *nothing*. What a mess.

Well, there is little paper on the sheetrock anymore. At first I thought there was a skim-coat of mud on the wall. Nope, that was the drywall. Most of the sheetrock paper came off with the wallpaper.

I've spent *hours* on it already. All the paper is off (and has been for a year). I mean *all* the paper. :-(

NO, I should have taken something before stating that job though. What a PITA that's been!

--
Keith