Paint over knotty pine

Knots are bleeding through paint. Previous to painting I sanded, 2 coats of good shellac on the knots, primed the wood then 2 coats of acrylic latex. Where did I go wrong? Is there a fix?
Thanks
Not enough primer.
Try sanding it back just to roughen, then spray with Kilz prior to a finish coat.

snipped-for-privacy@nf.sympatico.ca wrote:

On Feb 19, 5:13 pm, snipped-for-privacy@nf.sympatico.ca wrote:

In the UK we use 'Knotting primer' which seals the knots and stops the resin coming out. Surely you can get something similar in the US.
On 19 Feb 2007 10:17:22 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

The shellac should have done that. My guess is that it was put on too thin, and not allowed to dry between coats.
On 19 Feb 2007 08:13:03 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@nf.sympatico.ca wrote:

The orange shellac should have sealed the knots. Hopefully, you used an oil under coater then the latex finish.
The solution now is to use "original" kilz.......not the water based kilz. Then finish again
Don