Paint or stain?

We are going to be getting new exterior doors to replace our 35 year old doors. The original doors were wood and were stained on the interior and exterior to match the trim on the inside of the house.

The new doors will be fiberglass and we are planning on staining the interior to match the trim on the inside of the house but we want to paint the exterior.

My question is what should I do with the edges? Do I paint them or do I stain them? Is there a "correct" way or is it a personal preference?

Thanks, G.S.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I don't know of any "correct" method. I would be inclined to do the edges the same as the interior, just to make sure no little errors will be visible on the inside with the door shut.

Reply to
Norminn

Always stain, never paint.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

Since an exterior door swings inward, the rule of thumb is to paint the outside and the hinge edge the same. The inside and the latch edge are normally painted/stained to match interior decor.

Reply to
Bonnett Decorating