Paint not drying on newly glazed window

I refurbished a couple of sashes from an old window. I striped the paint off and had bare wood, primed with Sherwin Williams A100 oil based primer. Bought a new container of DAP 33, instructions say to let it form a surface skin (7-14 days) before painting. I let the sashes sit for 4 weeks, I didn't think there was a skin, but then again, I thought it's been much longer than they suggested so I should be fine. I then primed again with an oil based primer, 48 hours later the primer is still not even dry to the touch! What on earth did I do wrong? I'm assuming I need to pull off all the old glaze and try again! Any suggestions much appreciated.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

You know, I never understood the DAP formulation and why they didn't make glazing that skinned over faster. The glazing is linseed oil based, raw linseed oil takes a long time to dry. (It never really does).

I would not pull everything off. Try a hairdryer to see if that will speed up the drying. Not on hot though. Just blowing air. See if you can get the primer to skin over. If you can then just hang them as is and finish coat them in the spring! If you cant get it to skin over at all then I suspect something is really wrong like a bad batch of DAP or of primer. Did you know the DAP needs to be mixed? The oil comes to the surface of the can after it sits a while, could be you got too much of the oil? Anyway, it should dry eventually. Just hange em up and paint in the spring regardless.

Reply to
No

Nothing. Takes about 3-4 weeks at summer time temps (80+) much longer at lower temps. You might try the hair dryer suggested by another poster. Me I would just give it time.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt