Paint, Is there a big difference?

Page 3 of 5

You're not asking the right question. Don't ask which brand name, ask which paint within each brand. Each brand makes good paint and cheap paint. (Count Glidden as ICI Dulux, and I'm not all that familiar with Behr). Anyone who recommends Benjamin Moore or any other brand without being more specific simply doesn't know what they're talking about.
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 22:17:07 GMT, "Scott Townsend"

Yes. Good paint = one coat. Bad Cheap paint = three coats.
same formula for years without pealing.
The problem is finding the cheap good paint. thats where you turn to consumer reports.

I've not had much luck over the year with cheap paint. Save a few buck, put on more coats and/or have to re-paint in less time. I've been using Pittsburgh latex and I get tired of the color before the paint starts to peel. Each paint line has different levels of quality also. Get the middle or top grade. Talk to the owner of a good established paint store. Most wont carry crap because they are personally seeing the people if things go wrong, not like the big box store.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote: <...>
Talk to the owner of a good established paint store. Most

wants to stock what sells. That's why cheap products exist in the first place.
Stubby wrote:

To adegree, I am running a small business too. But I have a reputation and customer loyalty to look out. Any how my customers concern is not the cost, the quality and good experienced information. How about, cheap people buy cheap?

Ya gotta give 'em that one folks...:-)

I notice you say "did" operate a retail business. If you sold a quality product that would get repeat customers, maybe you'd still be in business. My local paint store sells various grades, but they do not sell crap. Bob has been in the paint business for over 30 years because of his good reputation.

First time I can recal reading good advice regarding paint on this newsgroup. Only change I'd make is that the top paint brands do carry cheap paint too. For example, Sherwin Williams StylePerfect. Let's face it - there are times when a cheap paint WILL make do. At least they're honest about it - they have a chart that rates each of their paints 1 to 5 stars in different categories. StylePerfect rates 1 star for hiding and coverage, while SuperPaint rates 5 stars.

Cheaping out on paint is a false economy - you end up spending MUCH more time painting, and usually use enough more that the good quality stuff would have been cheaper.
We don't get a great deal of variety up here of the premium brands, so we stick to Benjamin Moore. Infinitely superior to the local hardware store chain's brand - the stuff is very frustrating - I think it took some friends of ours _four_ coats.
We introduced them to BM (after spending 6 days painting 9 rooms with BM), and the first thing they remarked "painting is fun now!".
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

It's not enough to specify BM - you have to specify the exact paint type. All the top manufacturers make crap paint too ya know.

Here, BM-labelled paint is pretty much all the same stuff. BM also sells something called Para paint, which according to people who've used it is almost as good.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

That makes no sense.

In the sense that BM _here_ doesn't appear to have multiple _grades_ of paint labelled as "Benjamin Moore". There's one grade labelled "Benjamin Moore" (with different names for flat vs. satin etc), and the other is labeled "Para".
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Thank you all for your replies.

So far as what it looks like after painting, I always say...
Walk into a house - any house and tell me what brand of paint they used.
Was it Ralph Loren, Walmart, or you can't tell what brand?
I use Walmart myself...

I agree with the fact you can't tell brand. I tried WalMart stuff once. After the fourth coat I decided I'd never try it again. That may have just been that color and that batch but it was back to my regular store.

You absolutely cannot tell the brand. But sometimes you can tell the quality, and sometimes not. Quality affects different things. For example, how many coats it takes, or how much you have to cover or clean up because of high splatter. But you can't tell those things after the job is done, if the job was done right.
On the other hand, if the paint looks dirty and worn and can't be cleaned well after only a short time, then it was probably cheap paint. But the people who paid for it and lived with it will know. So, your "point" is moot.
Scott Townsend wrote:

I've tried a lot of different paints and have to say that when looking at the price to quality ratio, Lowes has an impressive line for interior. Can't vouch for their exterior. I've never had any luck with Behr. It handles like runny clay, but somehow still doesn't cover.
Another thing to note here is that many paints are made by the same manufacturer. Sears Weatherbeater, Walmart Color Place, and Dutch Boy are all Sherwin Williams under the lid. I think I saw once that SW makes Lowes paint as well, but I'm not sure on that.
When painting, consider the amount of time you're going to spend moving furniture, laying dropcloths, sanding, scraping, removing hardware, cleaning, caulking, edging, masking, purchasing equipment, washing equipment, running to the store, agonizing over colors, etc. Then consider that the price difference between a top-shelf paint and a low-end paint is about $30 / room. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a lot of money.
trbo20 wrote:

How do you know that ColorPlace is made by SW? There's nothing anywhere on the label.
Ether Jones wrote:

I used to mix paint for a living and would attend training sessions given by a Sherwin Williams rep annually. A lot of paints are made by them. I suspect they like to keep their name off the label so that their reputation isn't tarnished by cheap paint outlets.
What I was told was that they would mix the additive ratio to specificatioins, and create a color mixing system for the chain. Sherwin Williams could sell all the bottom shelf paint they wanted without hurting their name as long as they were willing to give up the retail profits and only collect on the wholesale.
I know Wal-Mart paint used to be made by a subsidiary of Sherwin Williams called "United Coatings". In answering your question, I don't know that they still do anymore. A Google search yielded recent MSDS that specifically stated United Coatings no longer made Wal-Mart paint, so it appears I may have been wrong on that.
I'd be curious to know who is making their paint now. It may still be Sherwin Williams, I just can't find anything definitive on it.