Paint - How Much to Buy

Page 1 of 3
I need to paint my great room - hall - and dinette. Its all painted the same color. I measured (three walls have those tall vaulted ceilings) -- but as best I can tell - the area measures 1441 sq.ft. I have thrown away the sales slips for the paint we bought - years ago - and I have no idea how many gallons. It will be flat paint, as close to the original color as possible. Hopefully, one coat will cover it. How many gallons do I need? My late husband always bought the paint - well, I bought it, but he told me how many gallons to buy. Any help would be appreciated. Will probably shop at Home Depot or Lowes. Thanks.
On 1/25/2013 12:42 PM, Dottie wrote:

color. I measured (three walls have those tall vaulted ceilings) -- but as best I can tell - the area measures 1441 sq.ft. I have thrown away the sales slips for the paint we bought - years ago - and I have no idea how many gallons. It will be flat paint, as close to the original color as possible. Hopefully, one coat will cover it. How many gallons do I need? My late husband always bought the paint - well, I bought it, but he told me how many gallons to buy. Any help would be appreciated. Will probably shop at Home Depot or Lowes. Thanks.

Says ~4 gal.
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 13:00:49 -0500, Frank

color. I measured (three walls have those tall vaulted ceilings) -- but as best I can tell - the area measures 1441 sq.ft. I have thrown away the sales slips for the paint we bought - years ago - and I have no idea how many gallons. It will be flat paint, as close to the original color as possible. Hopefully, one coat will cover it. How many gallons do I need? My late husband always bought the paint - well, I bought it, but he told me how many gallons to buy. Any help would be appreciated. Will probably shop at Home Depot or Lowes. Thanks.

I just scanned the reference but didn't see any accountability for how it's painted.... roller, brush or spray. They use different amounts. Perhaps they assume the worst case scenario??
On 1/25/2013 12:13 PM, Doug wrote:

I didn't even look at the reference but that's >350 ft^2/gal if her measurements are even close to accurate.
It'll take 5 min. to be comfortable...
OP: Remember to mix it together before starting to eliminate any variations...

Probably cheaper to get a 5 gallon pail vs 4 single gallons. Just to be safe and no boxing " mixing between gallons" required.
Of course its a little harder to haul around.

I agree plus you have plenty of touch up paint then.

With too much surface area. Stick with the smaller cans.
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 19:33:37 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Not sure I agree about surface area if you keep it fairly air tight and in moderate temps because then it could last a long time. That said, I like your suggestion of smaller cans just from a handling point of view.
On 01/25/2013 09:37 PM, Doug wrote:

Not only surface area, but also head space; this is why, when you have paint left over from a five gallon bucket, you transfer it into the smallest container possible (usually a combination of gallon and quart buckets) for the longest shelf life.
Jon
On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 08:49:31 -0800, Jon Danniken

I wouldn't think it matters if you keep it fairly tight and in moderate temps. I mean you can have a gallon can of paint go bad too if the temps are extreme in a short time. But I'm no authority on paint so if you both think it will go bad faster in a bigger can, who am I to dispute it. Again a paint store can confirm this.
On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 08:49:31 -0800, Jon Danniken

Well if both of you think this, I won't dispute it even if I hesitate to agree. Again a paint store can confirm this.
-snip-

I worked on a 5 gallon bucket for 6-8 years & the last quart was as good as the first. It had one of those 1 1/2" pop-up spouts on it. The first time I finished up with it, I duct- taped it because it is just a slide-on fit. I forgot the next time, and all was good several years later, I never bothered again.
Maybe True Value sells magic paint. Maybe it is the coolness and humidity in my basement. Worked for me.
Jim
On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 08:49:31 -0800, Jon Danniken

The surface area is higher for the given left-over paint. If it's in a one gallon container its surface area is far less. If you have four gallons left, what the hell did you buy a 5-gal pail for?

But people don't.

color. I measured (three walls have those tall vaulted ceilings) -- but as best I can tell - the area measures 1441 sq.ft. I have thrown away the sales slips for the paint we bought - years ago - and I have no idea how many gallons. It will be flat paint, as close to the original color as possible. Hopefully, one coat will cover it. How many gallons do I need? My late husband always bought the paint - well, I bought it, but he told me how many gallons to buy. Any help would be appreciated. Will probably shop at Home Depot or Lowes. Thanks.
Usually the paint can will tell you but surely the paint store will and give more tips to boot.
Dottie wrote:

As someone said, you will need about 4 gallons +- depending on how it is applied. You might want to check the price for a 5 gallon bucket, may be less than 4 - 1 gallon cans. Plus, it will be tinted all in one go rather than individual cans.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I haven't found any problems with tint variations for *years*. I use paint out of one gallon to touch up paint that came from another without *any* problems. ...even a year later. ;-)

OTOH, I hate 5gal pails. That's still not saving enough to buy the extra gallon. I'd rather spend the extra and get five brand new cans to store nails in. ;-)
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in

Agreed. I haven't seen any problems *at all* with one can not matching another since the paint retailers went to computerized dispensers.
at best coverage is a guess estimate and with needing 4 gallons i would go with 5.
too many people dont wash walls before painting. i believe its critical to clean all surfaces thoroughy, remove all wall plates, proper prep is everything....
On Friday 25 January 2013 17:42 Dottie wrote in alt.home.repair:

You will need twice as much as the coverage figures on the can claim! :-|
And that's assuming good paint...
--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim /

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

Nonsense.
Doubly nonsense. Twice as much with *crap* paint, sure. For good paint, the label is pretty close, although coverage is usually closer to the low end of the range.