Paint Freezes?

I didn't know this. I have an almost full can of latex sitting in my new (unheated) home up north. I guess I can expect a nice puddle on my garage floor when I get back..?

CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano

It'll be a mess! One morning I heard what sounded like grenades going off in my garage. I went out to witness a 12-pack of coke going off like mortars. The neat thing was the well-frozen coke skittering around on the floor like fizzies on a pond. I crept up on the mess with a blanket, captured it, and took the rest inside to warm up.

Reply to
krw

Almost full is better than full. Should be enough head space to allow for expansion. I don't think you have any worry.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Could have been worse....my wife left 24 cans of coke in the middle seat of our brand new van in January. The red roof became a lovely brown (along with the seats now looking poxed). Cost a pretty penny getting it detailed in a hurry.

PV

Reply to
PV

Probably not. The lid might pop off, but the can probably won't split.

Also, latex paint contains glycol which lowers its freezing point.

Reply to
Karl S

Having frozen some latex paint by leaving it in the garage, you most likely won't burst the can, just ruin the paint. At least that's what happened to me, the paint was separated and 'curdled' when I thawed it out, but nothing leaked.

Reply to
Mikey S.