Paint for plastic Shutters

My shutters seem to need a paint job.... they held up fairly well for about 10 years but are rather faded. They are the plastic type shutters sold at the local big box stores.
Any suggestions on what type of paint to use.... should they be primed first ?? Top coated ??? I'm planning on using a brush so self leveling paint would help.
Thanks in advance !!!
Peter
Add pictures here
✖

Check Lowe's and HD for a spray paint (spray bombs, believe it or not) by Krylon, I believe. It is advertised to combine with the plastic. I cannnot vouche for it so I hope that there better responses. Mine is "last resort".
Add pictures here
✖
on 7/31/2009 10:21 PM (ET) C & E wrote the following:

I'll vouch for the plastic paint. I used the Rustoleum brand on some outdoor plastic planters 3 years ago. It's still in good shape after hot summers and cold winters. Rustoleum also has a plastic primer, that when used on plastic, can take any paint afterwards. Valspar also has plastic spray paint in their American Tradition collection.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Jul 31, 8:56 pm, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Talk to a real paint store to get advise and products, but XIM is a well known quality primer designed for plastics, actualy I used it today. XIM has beed around for at least 25.
Add pictures here
✖

I've had good results with regular latex house paint. One advantage is they can mix any color you want. Talk to a good paint store for brand particulars.
Add pictures here
✖
Thanks all for the good suggestions.... I like Kryolan, but it won't hold up under exposure.... Fusion is good, I've used it for plastic... but it won't hold up with continuous exposure to the elements.
XIM sounds like a good primer and the idea of checking with a good paint store for house paint sounds like it will work. The REAL paint stores usually know what they're talking about.
If I gotta paint those suckers I want it to last for a couple of years. Some of them are up on the second story, so the ladder has to come out.
Thanks again for all your suggestions... they are all worthwhile !!
Peter
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 21:56:11 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Most of the work will be preparation. Sanding and more sanding.
Fading is not a big deal. Personally, I'd wait until the paint was compromised. If fading bothers you, pick another color that won't fad so quickly. Red is probably the worst.
Add pictures here
✖

might be easier to replace the shutters with a 25 year guarantee ones, paint would last nearly as long as plastic original surface
expansion and contraction causes much grief
Add pictures here
✖

When you add up primer, paint, supplies etc, it may be damn close to the cost of the cheapo Borg Builders Edge shutters. Guess it depends on how much you hate painting shutters. I don't mind painting at all but shutters suck. I've never sprayed them though.
As far as the XIM primer, I just used some. Was painting a garage door that bakes in the mid south afternoon sun. Went to Sherwin Williams for this one. They gave me the XIM bonding primer. It's solvent based and dries major quick. Runs about $18 a qt.
All that compared to remove clear wrapping on econo shutters, hold up, drive 6 screws, done. Then again, real easy for me to spend your money:-)
Add pictures here
✖

I agree with Red...Painting shutters SUCK big time and with them being plastic and already 10+ years old and probably brittle I'd just replace them...They are only 30-40 bucks a pair for solid color plastic shutters at Homedepot....By the time you buy the GOOD primer and paint the difference in price won't be much I bet not to mention ALL the time it takes to sand , prep , prime and paint shutters....JMHO....
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 31, 8:56 pm, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Plastic shutters from the big box stores come as 'paintable' and 'non- paintable'. The paintable ones state to use latex paint. The non- paintable ones come precolored and state that paint will not adher to them. However after years of weathering I'd give it a try anyway.
KC
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 31, 9:56 pm, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

I painted mine a couple of years ago with Krylon plastic paint. So far so good.
Jimmie
Add pictures here
✖

Really is interesting to hear a success story painting shutters.
Mind telling us what you did as far as cleaning, sanding, priming or whatever? Do they get much sun morning/afternoon? What area are you located?
Add pictures here
✖

Plasic shutters, I washed them with TSP and bleach and sprayed them with the Krylon plastic paint. I admit my shutters live a sheltered life being only on the north and east side of the house. The southern side has bay windows and french doors so there are no shutters on them. They are dark blue and I dont think they have faded since I painted them but two years isnt much of a test.. My neighbors who live across the street face the south had to replace their's a few years ago as their's was beyond painting. The house, 20 years old, had wooden shutters when I bought it and they had to be replaced after 10 years.
Jimmie
Add pictures here
✖
Thanks all for the many excellent suggestions..... you've given a lot of different options based on personal experience.
I'll be trying most of them. Won't replace the shutters unless the surface has deteriorated, they are only 10 years old
But the thoughts of paintable versus non-paintable... and long warranty makes it worthwhile to dig up the old paperwork.
I think these were 'builders edge' from Home Depot.
Thanks again for all the responses, suggestions. It's a pleasure to work with you guys !!
Peter
Add pictures here
✖