Paint drying question

I recently discovered 2 gallons of gloss enamel paint that sprung a leak where the loop handle attaches to the can. This seemed to be just linseed oil (or whatever). I had a couple other gallons that I didn't care for the color so I tried decanting the oil from the good cans into the remainder of the leaking cans (after putting it in new cans). These were all from same manufacturer and same type of paint, just different colors.

Then I stirred up the reconstituted paint and tried it on a test strip. I'm not sure it has dried "hard" on the test strip as it still feels tacky 3 days later. I'm afraid to use it if it won't dry completely. Does enamel paint deteriorate over time? This paint is like 10 years old. Is there something I can add to it to make it dry out? Any advice besides "pitching it out?" Thanks for any help.

Chemo

Reply to
Ed

Toss it. It sounds as if you added too much oil, not enough resin.

Reply to
dadiOH

Linseed oil is called a "drying oil". Just get some raw linseed oil and mix a bit into a sample and test. Regards Bill

Reply to
Bill

One often used curing agent in oil paints was cobalt naphthenate. Might find some at an old fashioned paint store. Doesn't take much to kick off the poymerization of most alkyds and linseed oil. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Japan Drier. Should be available in any good paint store. Follow package directions.

Reply to
NickySantoro